The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2010-01-17, 12:58 AM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Re: Name & Shame Uberleechers Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshrk1 View Post
I'm one of those w/o huge bandwidth & have this firewall thing that I can't figure out. Doesn't stop me.

And, really I should have quoted peaktime sorry spencer.
It's OK, I realize you were too busy trying to build that weak ratio to quote correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-01-17, 07:56 AM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
maybe the ratio-ego issue is simple...ratio is inversely proportional to penis size
Explains why mine keeps shrinking...thought it was from lack of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2010-01-17, 11:16 AM
Dr. Woof Woof Lombardi
1.03 TB/1.75 TB/1.70

Sure, FIOS or whatever might give you the chance to upload a ton, but not having major bandwidth shouldn't prohibit you from maintaining a halfway decent ratio. When I first joined TTD, I had a dialup modem for chrissakes, and I still managed to keep my ratio around 1.0. Ratios aren't about bragging rights; they're about sharing. This site is called the Traders' Den for a reason; you take, and you give back. You trade byte for byte. Or at least you should. Peeps who take, take, take, and don't give back are just pathetic, imho . . .
Old 2010-01-17, 11:25 AM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

^ I like this.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2010-01-17, 12:48 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

+1
Old 2010-01-17, 08:18 PM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

it's simple math: as long as there are people sharing more than they take, there will be people who take more than they share. it's a symbiotic relationship, and a mathematical certainty.

but nobody's going to scold the oversharers

Quote:
You trade byte for byte. Or at least you should.
oops, spoke too soon. so the fiber optic user with 1 MBps u/l should shut down after reaching 1/1?

if people with ratios under a certain number really burn your toast, maybe you should stop oversharing, as you're just making the situation worse.

or kick back, crack a brew, and enjoy the tunes instead of making something that's supposed to take us higher a stressed out competition.
Old 2010-01-17, 10:36 PM
Dr. Woof Woof Lombardi
1.03 TB/1.75 TB/1.70

You just don't get it, do you, Peaktime? My sharing more than 1.0 does not compel anyone else, either technologically or volitionally, to share less. Calling it "simple math" tells me that you know as little about math as you do about sharing. And the fact that you think I'm involved in a competition pretty much underscores your cluelessness. It's not about competing, man; it's about trying to do the right thing. Everyone shoud upload more or less what they download, at the very least. My sharing more doesn't mean that someone else should, or has to, share less. That's a bullshit excuse. But, then again, the leechers and douchebags always have an endless supply excuses. I mean, if we had an excuse ratio, you'd be in like flynn. Nuff said.
Old 2010-01-17, 11:09 PM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

it's ok, some people just aren't good at math

here's an example of a torrent being initially seeded with 100 leechers. some of those users will upload at 3 MBps, some at 1 MBps, some at 500 kBps, some at 250, some at 100, 50, 25, 15. Most people's download capabilities are much higher than their upload. The swarm starts and the race is on. By the time the torrent has been initially seeded, those with the highest rates will have given back 50 times, 10 times, 7 times, etc. more than they have taken, and those with the lowest will have ratios in the .10, .20, .30 range. And some of those really fast pipes may stick around to seed for another week or two. Some more leechers may join in, and then the torrent's popularity dies down a lot. Another torrent pops up, and the same 100 people are interested in it, and the same thing happens.

You can't have loads and loads of oversharers giving more than they take without people to give it to! And this comes at the expense of those with slower connections or who don't spend much time seeding. The overall ratio of a torrent community's members will be 1.0, which means that some will be higher, and some will be lower necessarily in order to balance out to 1.0. It's impossible for everyone to get to 1.0 or higher.
Old 2010-01-18, 12:44 AM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

You're assuming a finite number of leechers in a closed system. The situation is really open-ended. new people come in, new torrents go up.

Besides, there are enough hit-and-run asses that purposely don't seed back that there is plenty of mathematical room for those that want to seed back.

Quote:
And this comes at the expense of those with slower connections or who don't spend much time seeding.
Biggest factor right there. Hs nothing to do with anyone's connection speed. If you don't stay on a torrent to seed it, obviously your ratio will not improve due to seeding.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Old 2010-01-18, 02:10 AM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
You're assuming a finite number of leechers in a closed system. The situation is really open-ended. new people come in, new torrents go up.
sure, you can always add more people and torrents, but when someone is swinging their big ratio and stats around and slapping someone for not having good numbers, they don't say, "hey, don't worry about it man, new people will join and hop on the torrents you've downloaded so you can improve your ratio. take your time." they say you're a selfish bastard who is ruining a once great site. and then proceed to slap around those newly joined people for leeching a bunch of shows without giving anything back right away.

Also, torrents die. If you're in the last batch of people to grab a torrent before it dies, you aren't uploading any more on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer
Besides, there are enough hit-and-run asses that purposely don't seed back that there is plenty of mathematical room for those that want to seed back.
really? there are plenty who love to park and seed and seed with their huge pipe that even if some people hit and run, it's still impossible for those with a slow connection who want to seed.

which statement is true depends what the numbers really are, and you didn't supply any...but neither did I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaktime
And this comes at the expense of those with slower connections or who don't spend much time seeding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer
Biggest factor right there. Hs nothing to do with anyone's connection speed. If you don't stay on a torrent to seed it, obviously your ratio will not improve due to seeding.
yeah I knew this would be picked apart. for someone on the lower end of the b/w spectrum, it could take months and months of seeding just to break even. and some people don't have the patience, CPU/RAM, or drive space to seed dozens of torrents for months on end and just give up.

maybe you think that everyone should maintain a great ratio no matter what their connection is, but I don't.

I think the greater tragedy is that some average or low speed people maybe don't get all the shows they really want because they are worried about public opinion of their ratio. Meanwhile, someone with a fiber connection and a 189.07 ratio would be more than happy to hook them up with 30 minutes of their seeding time, but average speed person doesn't bother downloading because he's sitting on 4 other torrents that aren't uploading very much...and he's getting flack for his ratio after saying thanks in one of them.
Old 2010-01-18, 07:08 AM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaktime View Post
maybe you think that everyone should maintain a great ratio no matter what their connection is, but I don't.
No one is asking for a great ratio...just 1/1. Give as much as you take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2010-01-18, 08:52 AM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

it really is amazing to see/read the very complex reasoning that some people apply to excuse themselves for being greedy and not paying back their fair share into the pool. it would be much more honest to just come right out and say "I'm greedy and/or lazy and would rather treat this as a download service that a sharing/trading site. Please do not expect me to stay connected 2 seconds after completing. And you're being rude for pointing out that I have a crappy ratio."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 2010-01-18, 09:16 AM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

I know some noobs dig themselves a hole otherwise regardless of one's strained logic one is being greedy.....but I need lots since I trade em. my bandwidth hurts. I only like Zep.

BS
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2010-01-18, 10:07 AM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Those with limited bandwidth are welcomed to do Vines or B&Ps to help others with even more limited bandwidth. It won't credit the ratio, but one is less likely to get "called out" if they've been "seeding" back that way.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Old 2010-01-18, 04:06 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

I agree with peaktime and his analysis regarding members getting over 1:1. It does prevent others from getting to 1:1. If everyone would drop off when their ratio got to say, 1.1:1, then there wouldn't be as many 0.2:1 ratios.

However, I don't actually care about this so I don't drop off. I like getting a big ass ratio. Fuck everyone else. Muhhahahaha

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers