The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-03-11, 03:05 PM
61.19 GB/6.34 GB/0.10

dBpoweramp for ripping audio

I was going to download EAC to rip audio to my hard drive so I can attach it to the DVD as alternative.

I found out DBpoweramp could rip FLAC files. I burned my files using nero with flac plugin. Would these files that I ripped from DB still be considered loseless, im just curious because they ripped the whole cd in under 5 minutes. I used EAC once and took me more than 30 minutes to rip audio to hard drive.

here's the settings I used:
Rip to: WAVE
Uncompressed bit rate [as source]
Uncompressed khz [as source]
Uncompressed channels [as source]

Is it recommended DB to rip loseless files? Just questioning since EAC took me a very long time and this program only did it in minutes. I do not plan to trade or seed this source. I just want a loseless copy on my hardrive

I also attached a picture so you tell me if its loseless
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frequency analysis.jpg
( 32.1 KB, 50 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-03-11, 03:11 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

Re: dBpoweramp for ripping audio

EAC (or one of the other exact ripping tools as given in the FAQ) is requested for ripping. It may take a bit longer for having the files on your drive when using secure mode, but at least you can be sure they are clean. Decoding to FLAC should be an additional step, use tools like FLAC Frontend or Traders Little Helper for that.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_audioguide

Old 2010-03-11, 03:40 PM
61.19 GB/6.34 GB/0.10

thank you, you are right! I just tried to sync the audio it was way off, maybe DB did that, ill try EAC now. If doesnt work then I guess the taper must have changed the tempo on purpose
Old 2010-03-11, 03:44 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

EAC is an error-correcting ripper. If you a) have it in secure mode and b) get 100% in the results, you can bank on it.

dbPOweramp is great, but I do not think the CD ripper module is error correcting, unless that has recently been added.
Old 2010-03-11, 04:58 PM
313.45 GB/266.42 GB/0.85

dbPoweramp has Accurip, but no error correcting.

In EAC, be sure that under Drive Options/Extraction Methond you have Secure Mode selected. It shouldn't take a half hour to rip a disk normally, but a scratched disk, or Paranoid Mode, will increase the time.

It's OK to use EAC to compress to FLAC. It rips to WAV first and then converts that to FLAC. It can either keep the WAV file or delete it when done if you want. The extra compression step will cause the rip to take longer. Just how much longer depends on your processor speed.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with the audio file, but your ripper wouldn't cause sync problems that altered the tempo. The only "problem" the ripper may cause, EAC or dbPoweramp, would be if the offset for the CD/DVD player was not correct, in which case you may have a few extra milliseconds of silence at the beginning of the first track.
Old 2010-03-11, 07:03 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Sounds like yer tryin to sync the ripped audio to the video on the DVD,as an "upgrade" correct?

The sync issues have nothin to do with lossless/lossy, it has to do with the fact that they were recorded on two different pieces of equipment, which inevitably record at different speeds (slightly)...its one in a million that different recordings of the same performance would sync up perfectly in post...

btw, the FA you posted looks to be lossless

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble