The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2013-09-26, 07:41 AM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Agree 100% with nutzrocker. Not everyone has a super fast connection and being able to gain a few gbs for a donation which helps out the tracker as well was a welcome bonus. HC was fun and a great community. It is so sad to see it come crashing down in the way that it has. Nobody is going to become a millionaire from tracker donations. However a lot of people have donated recently in good faith (one guy several hundred dollars) and they have been treated disgracefully.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2013-09-26, 07:53 AM
713.98 GB/997.13 GB/1.40

Unhappy Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamesesII View Post
It's a great shame as there was a great community over at HC thanks to all the staff there who were amazing. They worked so hard and have been treated disgracefully. They were good to warn members not to send any more donations although after my last one was completely ignored until Erik was good enough to sort it for me there wasn't much fear of that. A lot of other members were treated in the same way - sent substantial donations and not a word of thanks, kiss my **** or any other kind of reply. So where's all the money gone and why yet another demand for even more funds?

From now on donations will be going to sites such as this one where they won't be falling into a bottomless pit.
Same thing happened to me....a shame, really.
Old 2013-09-26, 10:01 AM
Bugs
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1061 View Post
I doubt people could actuly buy there way out of seeding. You don't get that much of a change in your ratio.
You and I might not have our ratios affected by a $20 donation, but there are a lot of n00bs who sign up, download until their poor ratios automatically suspend their accounts, and then they are stuck there until they can make up the difference. They can't get uploader status. They, more than likely than not, have leeched old shows that no one else will be leeching soon. And, with their accounts frozen, they can't jump on active torrents to improve their ratios. Remember that HC citizens are forbidden from running more than one account from the same IP. I would assume that a user in this position could not delete and add a second (or third or fourth) account and start over, based on the assumption that she or he would repeat the same leechy behavior the next time around (and, to be fair to HC, that assumption is not unreasonable).

This scenario is well documented in the HC forum. Users in this position would pop up there with fair regularity asking how to regain good standing, and it was not uncommon for them for them to be told that, if they made a donation, that would get them out of the dog house.
Old 2013-09-26, 10:22 AM
4.86 GB/734.96 GB/151.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
Great suggestion. Hubs are also a great alternative, where many new treasures are still being shared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolston View Post
Can you say more or provide a pointer re: hubs, vlady? I'm not sure what you're referring to.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyray View Post
Karmacity!

(but someone who is self focused might think that was about them. )
Anyone can create a free forum at GroupSpaces. They can be public or private. <-quick example
the free package could host roughly 5000 torrent files. lol
Old 2013-09-26, 10:40 AM
397.98 GB/489.20 GB/1.23

Funny I discovered HC in 2008 at the same time as I discovered "Breaking Bad".

They both end at the same time... in a bloodbath!
Old 2013-09-26, 01:23 PM
428.03 GB/1.06 TB/2.54

there was a site wide posting telling people NOT to donate....naturally a week after I gave 15 bucks...and thought it odd that I never got credit in ratio bonus they promise...the swindle thing is unnerving.
Old 2013-09-26, 01:30 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

You aren't alone. In spite of that experience, I think that this tracker is worthy of your support - $$ or otherwise. The staff here at TTD is responsive, and respectful of the members here.
Old 2013-09-26, 11:37 PM
5.99 TB/5.70 TB/0.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post

it used to be I'd mail you my list and you'd mail me your list. then we'd work out a tape trade. same tapes / same quantity .. and no high-speed dubbing. right?
the fact I know what you're talking about takes me back about 30 years :-)

We used to bad-mouth high-speed dubbers to other traders the way we name and shame vine-killers now.
Old 2013-09-26, 11:40 PM
5.99 TB/5.70 TB/0.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

A couple of complications with the system that I saw was the fact that people whose ratios were in the gutter at HC were encouraged to buy their way out the shit-gif; it also appeared that there were people who would join, drop a few hundred bucks, and then leech through their giant purchased ratio without seeding a kilobyte.
Personally, I don't see any harm to me if someone else improves their ratio, or leeches GBs of shows, in return for a donation that keeps the site going. After all, none of the zeros and ones they are downloading are disappearing from my hard drive.
Old 2013-09-27, 08:10 AM
539.37 GB/1.47 TB/2.79

Thumbs up Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
Personally, I don't see any harm to me if someone else improves their ratio, or leeches GBs of shows, in return for a donation that keeps the site going. After all, none of the zeros and ones they are downloading are disappearing from my hard drive.

Old 2013-09-27, 03:17 PM
397.98 GB/489.20 GB/1.23

I don't agree.. It aways irated me to see ppl with a 0.351 ratio ( = the mininum of the minimum) get as much stuff as they could. I couldn't help but think "that's some music no one's ever gonna see again" cos they were never gonna leech it to others*.

I'm from the school that says "leech to members of confidence only . They'll always be there for others".

* some of them were SO clueless they thought torrent sites were some kind of free musical 'grab all you can" buffet... "How do you say? Leeching..."
Old 2013-09-27, 03:45 PM
324.18 GB/564.58 GB/1.74

In regards this subject,I have this very evening watched someone download a torrent on my client,via another tracker that I'm a member of,and as soon as the download was complete,they were off.
I checked the download history of that guy,and sure enough,his ratio was way low,but he had downloaded pages and pages of stuff,but no attempt to seed it back.
On the same tracker a guy asked me to seed a show for him.I checked the tracker and it was already being seeded.I checked his profile - same story - sixteen pages of completed shows,low ratio and seeding nothing.I pointed this out,and he suddenly put eight shows into his client to get me to seed.Seems he wanted a faster download.I pointed out to him that the longer it took for him to download,the longer he'd be seeding the bits he had got back,and left him to probably ask others to do the same.
Every tracker I'm a member of there's loads of people like that.Grab everything and seed nothing.They never post in the forums or bother to click the thanks button,if there is one either.Keep quiet and leech away.It's probably amongst that group,that you'll find the bootlegers and eBay sellers.
I can't really see those sort of people wanting to pay money to get a good ratio,'cos they don't give a shit.
Old 2013-09-27, 03:57 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

agreed. if leeches donated ~ trackers would never go offline

p.s. we don't 'do ratios' here. its the honor system.
Old 2013-09-27, 04:50 PM
324.18 GB/564.58 GB/1.74

I always try to reach and maintain a ratio of at least 2 as a personal thing,and donate to the trackers I use (except at the moment because I'm out of work), whether it's tracker policy or not,because I appreciate the fact that tapers and posters and seeders have made it possible for me to listen to this stuf.The thrill of hearing a concert I went to back in the eighties,posted by a guy in Scandinavia who's linked to my PC via another one in New York is magic to me,not technology.If I can get a show to someone else,so that THEY feel like that,then that is cool,and is what this is all about in my humble.
Old 2013-09-27, 07:59 PM
For cryin' out loud !
253.11 GB/484.93 GB/1.92

I always ty to seed to at least the ratio I have or better. Here it's 1.9 other places 1.3 and some not so high as others did not want the shows. Those are still for the most part seeding tho if someone wants them. To me it's only polite to try and help others who might want the show as well.

What strikes me is the comment about the lack of thank yous. From my experience it is sadly an accurate statement. If I forget to do that I would be ashamed, but that's just me.

That being said, there are all kinds of folks and those who do not express there thanks and seed will remain. TTD can work through that and persevere for the folks that continue to make this a great place to grab some tunes and share our thoughts.

jr.

But what if the one guy is right and the 10,000 is wrong

Remember to give the Staff/mods and everyone all the respect they have earned !

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble