The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2010-12-23, 09:31 PM
241.42 GB/240.59 GB/1.00

AM Radio

I would assume that it is lossy...well, poor quality to say the least. However, I am not sure if it is actually lossy and was wondering if any of you knew.
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." - Terence McKenna
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-12-23, 09:41 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Re: AM Radio

Of course not, if it was recorded losslessly.

While it may have lesser signal strength than FM, it is still a "pure" source. Just like an FM recording, studio tape, audience tape, etc.

It would only be lossy if recorded to a lossy medium (MD, mp3, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2010-12-23, 09:57 PM
241.42 GB/240.59 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
Of course not, if it was recorded losslessly.

While it may have lesser signal strength than FM, it is still a "pure" source. Just like an FM recording, studio tape, audience tape, etc.

It would only be lossy if recorded to a lossy medium (MD, mp3, etc.).
Alright. It's just that I hadn't seen any AM recordings anywhere. Thanks very much. Also, if I were to post an AM recording (hypothetically speaking), what would I call the source...FM?, SBD?
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." - Terence McKenna
Old 2010-12-23, 10:28 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

a lot of the older recordings are AM broadcasts.

the NRSC rules adopted decades ago limit the freq range.. cuts off at 10kHz by law (many AM stations with IBOC on them are actually rolling off at 5kHz o nthe analog to keep from screwing up the digital sidebands) - so that is the main reason for the more "dull" sound on the AM band.

in the days before the NRSC rules were put into place, the broadcasts had better fidelity and the band was less crowded with electrical interference, so some of the older AM bootlegs sound pretty good.
Old 2010-12-23, 11:38 PM
241.42 GB/240.59 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
a lot of the older recordings are AM broadcasts.

the NRSC rules adopted decades ago limit the freq range.. cuts off at 10kHz by law (many AM stations with IBOC on them are actually rolling off at 5kHz o nthe analog to keep from screwing up the digital sidebands) - so that is the main reason for the more "dull" sound on the AM band.

in the days before the NRSC rules were put into place, the broadcasts had better fidelity and the band was less crowded with electrical interference, so some of the older AM bootlegs sound pretty good.
So that's a no-go for posting an AM recording here?
Old 2010-12-24, 12:37 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

actually it is okay so long as it wasn't taped to mp3/md or something on your end

fire away

fwiw 99% of recent broadcasts (last 8? years or so) are sourced from mp3. There is one analog station left on the toronto dial last time I checked. probably the same for AM. but we allow these to be posted anyways understanding this, so long as its captured from a non-digital sat kind of source, open air or analog cable (if that still exists, applies to old tapes).

so tape off the radio to lossless, post it. lots of amazing shows on air need tapers everyday.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2010-12-24, 12:39 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

also see here for an early discussion about it.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?