The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-22, 04:52 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Re: Dudes!!!!!! HELP!!!!

That is correct, assuming you have the correct IP (from "ipconfig").

Are you still having problems? If so, bypass the router and connect directly to the modem, if possible (you'll have to reboot your computer). If you can torrent, then we know where the problem is. If not, then the router is no longer the problem and we can go from there.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-22, 05:08 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

I did as you instructed. That was the number I got. I am not getting any upload rate. After I did all of this, I rebooted and even disconnect the router. I then waited and restarted everything. Yeah, it's driving me nuts. Problem is I need the router for lesson plans and such. I may just get rid of it and use one computer. I do appreciate all of the help.
Jesse
Old 2005-06-22, 07:13 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I only meant to disconnect the router temporarily to determine whether or not it is the problem. If you did that, and you're still not getting anything, check to see if you have a software firewall (sorry, but I don't remember if you did or not). Check your start menu for anything by Norton, McAfee, ZoneLabs, or maybe you're using the Windows firewall. To check for that, go to the start menu and click on Settings/Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection, then click on the Properties button/Advanced tab and make sure the box is unchecked. That is the Windows firewall.

Now see if you can torrent. (bypass the router again, too). We'll just try it first with a straight connection to the modem. Also, verify that there are still seeds/leechers for the torrent file that you're using.
Old 2005-06-22, 07:24 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

I do not have a firewall. I diconnected the router and my up/dl speeds are fine. I am currently dl'ing a show and it has 6 seeds. Everything is working as it should.
Old 2005-06-22, 07:44 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Great. Good to hear it's finally working for you. I don't know why the router is giving you problems. If you want to try working on that later, let me know. I'll be happy to try to get the problem solved.
Old 2005-06-22, 08:13 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Great. Good to hear it's finally working for you. I don't know why the router is giving you problems. If you want to try working on that later, let me know. I'll be happy to try to get the problem solved.
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I'm just going to discontinue using the router.
Old 2005-06-22, 09:14 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

What could be the problem is that you may not have a static local IP. Take a look at this link about lindsys routeres. The first thing they talk about is making sure your local IP is static, not dynamic. http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html

Old 2005-06-22, 09:58 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
What could be the problem is that you may not have a static local IP. Take a look at this link about lindsys routeres. The first thing they talk about is making sure your local IP is static, not dynamic. http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html
i saw that earlier but i am not to confident in doing that. i am just going to take the router off, but i thank you for all of your help.
Jesse
Old 2005-06-22, 10:02 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

The static IP is only comes into play after the lease is up for the current one. In most cases (statistically), the same IP will be issued, since there aren't a lot of computers booting up and getting leases.

If he checked ipconfig and more or less immediately put that IP in the router, there should be no problem - he'd have the same IP. It's after a reboot that the IP "may" change. Of course, it could never hurt to try it anyway.

Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot to include that into my list for the tutorial.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble