The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-07, 06:11 PM
junkopardner
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Newbie Question on downloading

First of all, I wasn't sure where I should post this question, so I thought I'd try here first until someone tells me a more appropriate place to post it.

I'm a newbie to Trader's Den but not to bit torrent, and I've been downloading the video torrent of Led Zeppelin Latter Visions for days and days days: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...=visions#posts

It's at 63.5% and it has been locked there for a day or so. The strange thing is that is has about 5 seeders and 8 or so leechers so I don't understand what's wrong with the connection.

Of all the torrents I've ever downloaded from all the different sites this has been the longest torrent and certainly the weirdest.

On a side note, it also would make sense that because I'm at 63.5% that I should have a better connection than somoeone at 15% say, because I'm a hell of a lot closer to the end and subsequenly closer to seeding and boosting everyone's speed. Just a thought............

Any ideas/suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Jonathan
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-07, 06:15 PM
129.63 GB/249.35 GB/1.92

Re: Newbie Question on downloading

sometimes I get stuck...i usually close the program and reboot...it usually helps.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-07, 06:26 PM
17.53 GB/96.51 GB/5.51

..I have also found clearing temp files helps
Old 2006-02-07, 06:28 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Are you firewalled? If so, and the others are firewalled, then you will be unable to connect to anyone and you won't be able to finish your download until a) you forward your ports so you are no longer firewalled or b) someone else who has more of the show than you goes and forwards their ports so they are no longer firewalled.

(I'm also moving this to Technobabble which is where technical questions belong.)

Old 2006-02-07, 09:31 PM
junkopardner
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thank you so much U2Lynne!

I followed the guide link you posted for creating a static IP and changing ports etc. and now I'm back in business. What I can't figure out though is how I downloaded 62% with my old configuration. I just opened port 6881 in my bittorrent client for that.

But this Zeppelin video torrent was incredibly slow when it shouldn't have been because of the seeder/leecher ratio; do you think that my router firewall had something to with the painfully slow download speeds (because it seems to have greatly improved now that I've done everything in the guide you posted)?

One more question regarding my new configuration though; does having a static IP and 4 open ports on my router now make me in anyway vulnerable from a security standpoint?

Thanks again-

Jonathan
Old 2006-02-07, 10:39 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, since you were firewalled before, that means that you couldn't connect to everyone on the torrent and therefore your speed was not as great as it could have been. Once you are no longer firewalled, you are able to connect to everyone. When you are firewalled, not everyone can 'see' you and therefore they can't download to you.

You should be fine security-wise unless there is some vulnerability in your bittorrent client (and I have never heard of this being the case).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble