The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-12-16, 03:40 AM
63.55 GB/32.96 GB/0.52

Firewall/port forwarding issues (comcast/rca cable modem)

Hello. I feel a little guilty taking up anyone's time with my troubles, but i've been hoping to upload some shows for a long time. And Finally, I have a "fast" connection to the internet, and would like to get started.

I recently signed up for Comcast High Speed, and now own a "RCA digital Broadband Cable Modem"...Now, i'm trying to learn more about Port Forwarding/Firewall issues, and get myself in a position to seed something.

I visited portforward.com , but couldn't find instructions for what i have. The cable modem quick start guide states says my modem guide is for a "Thomson TCM or RCA DCM Cable Modem", and I can't find instructions for either. It also states that it is a "DOCSIS 2.0 based cable modem".

I use BitTorrent T-0.3.7 (BitTornado). The light is always green, and i get good download speeds. My upload speeds seemed to be capped at 45 kB/s, I don't know if that has to do with my provider, or because i've yet to do anything with opening my ports, etc...I recently downloaded a torrent from dime and my tracker showed i was connected to 33 of the 41 peers. Is this good, or should it better? It's definately not always that good.

I guess i'm just trying to figure out what i need to do to upload/seed successfully.

Sorry for rambling, i'd appreciate any help, and will return the favor!

-matt
www.phishhook.com/lists/loveishell7

Last edited by loveishell7; 2006-12-16 at 06:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-12-16, 11:00 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Firewall/port forwarding issues (comcast/rca cable modem)

Hi Matt. Is your computer connected directly into the cable modem or is there a router between your computer and the modem? If there is a router, then that is what you need to look up at portforward.com . However, from what you are saying, I'm not sure you are actually firewalled. When you are connected to the tracker and you look up your name on the Peers List, is your port number listed in red? If it isn't, then you should be fine. Another way to check is to go to www.canyouseeme.org . Just input the port you are using in BitTornada and see if it says it can see you or not.

Old 2006-12-16, 11:22 PM
20.89 GB/11.41 GB/0.55

Try one of these links to access your settings through the Internet:

http://192.168.0.1

or

http://192.168.1.1

Then look at NAPT, or similar, to forward the ports.

Hope it helps.
Old 2006-12-18, 02:29 PM
63.55 GB/32.96 GB/0.52

I love TTD, and i've seen U2Lynne help countless members, over and beyond what anybody could expect!...Thanks! ...& thanks Sally!

I didn't know it was possible to be ready "out of the box", but I'm looking OK on the peer list and on canyouseeme.org, and the lights are green (on BitTorrent). My speeds may not be legendary, but i think i'm ready to give this a go. But, i think i'll wait till after the holiday when i'll have more time to stick around and keep an eye on things.

I noticed that once i'm seeding shows, that sometimes my upload speed comes to crawl fairly early, with lots of leachers still left...clicking "super seed" those times has seemed to fix the problem, hopefully that's a recommended action

Thanks again!
Old 2006-12-18, 04:13 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveishell7
I noticed that once i'm seeding shows, that sometimes my upload speed comes to crawl fairly early, with lots of leachers still left...clicking "super seed" those times has seemed to fix the problem, hopefully that's a recommended action

Thanks again!
Super-seeding is usually something you would do if you are the *only* seed on a show. It gives out a piece to someone and then if that person is a good sharer (giving that piece out to others), then it will give more to that person. If the person is not a good sharer (low upload rate, not passing along the piece) then it won't give that person more pieces. I'm not sure why it would work better for you that way. I just looked at the settings available for bittorrent and don't see anything like the 'rules' in Azureus and utorrent that could slow you down. So, um.....

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble