The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-21, 01:09 PM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

Re: An all open source or at least free-ware PC?

Also, if you are going to going to be using GIMP, you will be using GTK. And since you would have that installed, why not take advantage of it?

Instant Messaging: I use and like Gaim quite a bit.

But if you want something smaller that you can customize more, Miranda IM is supposed to be good. As I understand, it does not even have to be installed to run. You could put it on a stick drive and run it off a USB port if need be.
Old 2004-12-21, 01:16 PM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

By compatibility, I mean that I don't know if it can play ogm or m2v or even the more obscure formats. Honestly, though, how often do you deviate from the major video formats? Obviously VLC is updated more often, but MPC can certainly play DVDs and TV show divx files, though I would never do that *cough*Daily Show, South Park*cough*! And it is the only thing I use for Real streams. I don't know about WMA streams.

Go for it!
Old 2004-12-21, 03:45 PM
18.28 GB/38.30 GB/2.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizby
Anti-Virus:
Image Programs: Gimp has already been mentioned. Sodipodi also seems to be a similar program with a little easier time drawing. I had a little trouble getting the program to run (I had to rename a dll in the folder and still have to run the executable from the folder), but it is worth looking in to.
Note that these two programs do completely different things. GIMP is for manipulating (raster) images. Sodipodi is a drawing tool for producing scalable vector graphics. They can do little bits of the other, but you probably wouldn't want to use the GIMP primarilly for drawing scalable graphics, and you can't use Sodipodi to edit photos.

GIMP = photoshop
sodipodi = illustrator
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-21, 03:47 PM
106.03 GB/68.29 GB/0.64

ImageForge is what i use for image editing.

Farmstar
Old 2004-12-21, 04:41 PM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbo
Note that these two programs do completely different things. GIMP is for manipulating (raster) images. Sodipodi is a drawing tool for producing scalable vector graphics. They can do little bits of the other, but you probably wouldn't want to use the GIMP primarilly for drawing scalable graphics, and you can't use Sodipodi to edit photos.

GIMP = photoshop
sodipodi = illustrator
Thank you for clarifying.
Old 2004-12-21, 05:15 PM
squalldog
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Avast, how well does that work? Anti-Virus is something that I do not want to take any chances with. I still have a (legal) copy of Norton AV....when I was a student it was included with your tuition. It's version 7 though, and it'll only be a matter of time before I won't be able to update it anymore. I'll either have to download a cracked version of get a freeware one....
Quite frankly I think Avast (the free edition) is alright, but from personal experience it missed quite a bit of stuff (trojans mostly) on a computer I built for my brother and sister. I had it myself for about 30days over the summer and I thought it was pretty poor. It used to many resources (on my machine at least) and was quite annoying. In the past I have used Norton and McAfee, finding both to be Ok. Norton obviously has major drawbacks like it takes over your computer and is a bitch to uninstall. McAfee I thought did a god job at staying in the background but was only decent at catching all viruses. For the last 5 months or so I have been using NOD32 which I have to say is the best one out on the market right now. It is an array of options for the more advanced user and I have experience NO problems at all with viruses, trojans, etc. It is fast and takes up little memory. It is not free though, so you either would have to get a cracked version or pay the 40 bucks for it...I think it's well worth it.
Old 2005-01-15, 08:49 AM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Hey RD - found this while looking around at collection cataloging software. It's actually a pretty good site with a decent selection of freeware programs.

www.nonags.com....from the front page go into the free programs section, then select the site closest to your geographical location and then on the left side choose "Software Menu" to see the catagories. I used to go here years back until I settled into my "favorites" and just stopped checking it out much. Still a nice site from what I've seen looking around again.
Old 2005-01-15, 09:58 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I use AVG for antivirus (grisoft.com). It's served me well for a couple years. My gf switched over to it from Norton a ways back and it caught a bunch of stuff Norton missed!

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-01-19, 02:32 PM
5.88 GB/16.77 GB/2.85

Sorry to digress, but Ive been wondering this since I downloaded mozilla

I am using mozilla version 1.7.3 as my web browser

This is different than firefox right? if so, what are the differences?

Secondly,
- any freeware versions of a page layout program like adobe page maker or indesign?

Thanks
Old 2005-01-19, 02:53 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Firefox is just the browser portion of the Mozilla suite. In fact, I believe it's undergone more development in recent months, and therefore is the definitive Mozilla browsing product. I would recommend making the move to Firefox. Mozilla.org will have quite a few more details about what the specific differences are.

On the second question, I've not come across anything with the list of features that Indesign has. I am sure much of this could be accomplished with Open Office and a few other programs, but I doubt there's anything quite this slick. For professional applications, I don't have a problem with paying for good software, and Abobe really does make good software.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-01-19, 03:42 PM
Embrace Rhythmism
110.14 GB/302.75 GB/2.75

Free cd audio burning program: http://www.burrrn.net/ It has flac, ape and shn codecs, among others. Never had a problem, burn gapless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizby
Browser: If you are not already using Firefox, then may the Great Magnet have mercy on your soul.
I use Netscape 7.2 at home. Is that bad? I do use Firefox on my old laptop, but I have found it is slightly more resource intensive than ie. It is an old computer though…

I have found sygate firewall good, but I think I still prefer ZoneAlarm. I find it easier to explain to regular people.

Warning: Collision with natural or manmade objects can result in catastrophic injury or death.
Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër?
See the løveli lakes, The wøndërful telephøne system
And mäni interesting furry animals, Including the majestik møøse
Old 2005-01-19, 03:48 PM
thinwhiteduke
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Avast, how well does that work? Anti-Virus is something that I do not want to take any chances with. I still have a (legal) copy of Norton AV....when I was a student it was included with your tuition. It's version 7 though, and it'll only be a matter of time before I won't be able to update it anymore. I'll either have to download a cracked version of get a freeware one....

I do find it amusing that you of all people openly admit to using an illegal version of Photoshop and would happily download further illegal cracks. Do you not think the software is worth your money? How much does a decent antivirus prog cost anyway? 60 bucks?

Old 2005-01-20, 12:50 PM
1.60 TB/640.96 GB/0.39

There are links to all sorts of free progs on my site;

http://www.direwolf.org.uk

hth
Old 2005-01-20, 01:00 PM
11.76 GB/25.98 GB/2.21

Quote:
Anti virus and firewalls are 2 of the things you should almost always use free alternatives for. Norton and Macafee are almost always rated lower then AVG. Plus I dont like the idea that I have to pay to get virus updates after one year, that's just dumb.
Old 2005-01-21, 08:24 AM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

As a Linux user (on both a PC and an iBook), here are the tools I use (all Open Source). Most of these have been mentioned before, in this thread but they are worth repeating:

Web browser - Firefox
Email client - Thunderbird
WAV editing - Audacity
IMAGE editing - The Gimp
DVD authoring - dvdauthor (dvdauthor.sourceforge.net)
DVD burning - cdrecord-prodvd or growisofs
CD burning - (I don't any more, but cdrdao or cdrecord do the job)
CD ripping - cdparanoia
Spreadsheet - gnumeric
Database - PostgreSQL
Audio Player - XMMS (has SHN/FLAC plugins)
Movie player - mplayer
Simple video editor (cutting and splicing without re-encoding) - ProjectX
Web Server - Apache
C Compiler - gcc

Almost all of the above are available for Windows - cross-platform availability is one very strong advantage of Open Source.

So if you use those tools and are comfortable with them, then a future switch to Linux would be a breeze - you'ld be using exactly the same applications.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble