The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-09-25, 05:38 PM
871.53 MB/14.71 GB/17.28

Bowie 50th Birthday - kept lossless from video master VHS promo - lossless PCM WAV audio - has to be .mkv

Hi,
I've made a definitive David Bowie 50th birthday video kept lossless from original 2xDVD made from promo HBO master VHS and best audio source lossless PCM WAV, but it does not fit onto DVD+R DL, can I share here as .mkv?, it's the only way to share it as I won't be losslessly compressing to DVD.
It is the best video and best audio source & generation known in the 19 years since the show, better than any other version that's been shared. A lot of them which claim to be lossless and claim to have no compression and no re-encoding etc. in fact have been compressed / re-encoded etc. The original 2xDVD master VHS source with new lossless audio does not fit onto any size DVD, also so called sync fixes previously torrented are still out of sync.
Already torrented at Bowie Station.
-----------
Some info here:

I made this 100% lossless Bowie 50th .mkv from the original 2xDVD share made from the master promo HBO VHS, the MD5's matched the original share from way back, so I know the video is best source/generation possible as all the various versions being shared out there on the internet are from the same original 2xDVD source.
The audio is taken directly from the Save The Children 2xCD bootleg, myself and a couple of others agree it sounds a little better than the 2xCD Coca-Cola Planet Live promo CD's which were used for radio broadcast (the Coca-Cola Planet Live CD's had songs in wrong order, loud parts of crowd mixed in and looks to have been bricked/limited for radio broadcast), the Save The Children audio which I've used does seem to sound the best of the 10 or so different audio sources out there, and seems to be from the digital video broadcast. Audio is 2 stereo channel WAV PCM.
I cut the original 2xDVD's 100% losslessly (deleted about 6 seconds of repeated fade out / fade in footage where DVD1 fades out / DVD2 fades in, and I removed off the end the last 2 pre-recorded 'dressing room' songs which the credits rolled over but weren't actually part of the show, 2 reasons for this was Save The Children 2xCD audio didn't have those 2 songs, and I thought cutting off those 2 songs was going cut down the overall size so it would be able to just squeeze losslessly onto a DVD+R DL/dual layer DVD, which in the end was still too big to losslessly fit onto DVD - as a side note that also makes it extremely unlikely that all the other versions circulating out there on the internet that claim to be lossless really are lossless, because I've used lossless video and lossless audio directly from the original sources and didn't include the last 2 pre-recorded dressing room songs, yet still didn't fit losslessly onto a DVD+R DL, so I'm pretty sure all the other versions out there can not truly have lossless video and audio from the best sources, this .mkv is the only lossless version.
I'm certain the audio/video sync is correct, and does not need fixing, the Save The Children digital audio was running about 0secs.03 (about 1 NTSC frame)longer than the VHS audio for each individual song, so to keep in sync I had to remove about 0secs.03 of crowd noise / audio in between each song, this seems like an incredibly small amount but if I didn't fix it after 10 songs it would be a very noticeable 10 frames out of sync), when cutting I've made sure these miniscule cuts in between each song can not be heard!, I have used cymbals to sync the audio by single video frames at various places throughout the video, and am sure it's in sync (I'm Afraid Of Americans has some stuff that looks a little out of sync but the original video was edited that way for broadcast, as does some of Bowie's acoustic guitar in Space Oddity but a lot of that is pre-recorded DAT). *Strangely the last and most recent 'fix' I saw someone make of someone else's version of this show was still a prety big 5 frames out of sync for most of DVD 2 !?!?, the audio/video is definitely properly in sync on this video and does not need any fixing.
Probably too much info here for some and not enough for others!...
Any questions, suggestions, complaints, email me:
[email protected]
Brent Graham / bomber1978
September 2016
*There's so many variations with different audio / fixes etc. of this show on DVD out there I didn't know how to distinguish it from the others, so I've written my name in the title, please keep info file and MD5 checksum if sharing so it's not confused with the many other versions out there...
**It's been 19 years since this show and there still isn't a version with digital video circulating on the internet, if anyone knows where to get one please let me know!!!

Last edited by bomber1978; 2016-09-25 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-09-26, 02:37 AM
790.29 GB/887.56 GB/1.12

Re: Bowie 50th Birthday - kept lossless from video master VHS promo - lossless PCM WAV audio - has to be .mkv

Can't you just use 2 or 3 DVD-5's ?
Old 2016-09-26, 04:46 AM
871.53 MB/14.71 GB/17.28

Re: Bowie 50th Birthday - kept lossless from video master VHS promo - lossless PCM WAV audio - has to be .mkv

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptrade View Post
Can't you just use 2 or 3 DVD-5's ?
It's been OK to share anywhere else as one complete .mkv, it seems a bit unnecessary to split it into 2 separate DVD's (that people have to change over mid-show) just so it can be torrented here...
The info/introduction to this website talks about how this place strives to host shows from the best sources with the best quality etc., the sole reason my project is .mkv is so it can be kept all together and completely lossless, I'm not sure why .mkv isn't allowed?, especially when it's confirmed to be 100% lossless.
Old 2016-09-26, 07:49 AM
871.53 MB/14.71 GB/17.28

I'm going to give uploading this one here a miss..., really isn't worth my time dealing with the mods etc.
Old 2016-09-26, 10:16 AM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

just make both isos and post em ...simple is as simple does
Old 2016-09-26, 05:34 PM
871.53 MB/14.71 GB/17.28

If anyone wants it my original upload is at Bowie Station here, it's just a simple sign up process:
http://www.bowiestation.com/TT2/torr...ls.php?id=2272
Old 2016-09-26, 11:34 PM
871.53 MB/14.71 GB/17.28

Seeding as 2xDVD's at Traders Den now...
Old 2016-09-29, 04:24 PM
28.96 GB/16.20 GB/0.56

MKV is just a container format. It can contain any codecs. If themkv has same codecs as dvd, you can remux it to VOBs without re-encoding.
Old 2016-09-30, 06:26 AM
871.53 MB/14.71 GB/17.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpmaskman View Post
MKV is just a container format. It can contain any codecs. If themkv has same codecs as dvd, you can remux it to VOBs without re-encoding.
Yeah I know. I just thought it was a little inconvenient to have split over 2 different DVD's just because Traders' Den rules didn't allow me to share it as 1 single .mkv even though lossless....
Anyway as I already said last post, I have now shared it here split over 2 DVD's made from my original lossless files.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble