The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-07-23, 09:51 AM
113.43 GB/831.37 GB/7.33

Re: Trader's Little Helper

I installed TLH last night and have some great Jimi raring to upload, however... I need a user's guide. I can't find one attached to the current version and when prompted to go to the start menu, I can't produce one either.

Admittedly, I'm just trying to figure this process out and am far, far from knowledgeable on how to get it done. So, sorry for the rudimentary (i.e. stupid question(s)) I seem to be able to go through the steps in TLH to create a torrent, but can't figure out how to save the torrent created - how do I do that?

Thank you in advance if you can help.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-07-23, 11:40 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuscon1 View Post
I installed TLH last night and have some great Jimi raring to upload, however... I need a user's guide. I can't find one attached to the current version and when prompted to go to the start menu, I can't produce one either. ...
I didn't find the time yet to write a new user's guide. The last release that had one was v1.1.90 but that's a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuscon1 View Post
... Admittedly, I'm just trying to figure this process out and am far, far from knowledgeable on how to get it done. So, sorry for the rudimentary (i.e. stupid question(s)) I seem to be able to go through the steps in TLH to create a torrent, but can't figure out how to save the torrent created - how do I do that? ...
If you choose the source to create a torrent from TLH automatically sets location and name of the torrent file to create (see box Torrent file to create). You can change this using the Browse button.

Robert
Old 2008-07-23, 03:08 PM
113.43 GB/831.37 GB/7.33

Thanks - I think I may have it... I appreciate the progam and your help!

msuscon1
Old 2008-07-27, 06:05 PM
8.12 GB/1.86 GB/0.23

A general query re: problems with corrupt files copied over a network. I routinely transfer files across a network system in two of my workrooms. Never problems with data files, nor wav files as such. But I began using TLH a while back and I'm finding that I have a greater number of corrupt (or perhaps more accurately, possibly corrupt) files showing up during decode (flac to wav) at a central workstation after transferring over from a DAW workstation (code to flac at the DAW, do further work after decoding to wav at the other desk). The network is fairly simple, being directed through a wired/wireless router (use wireless for this task). I've checked out these files as wav after decoding through errors and really nothing stands out that would affect sound or performance using the file. It has spurred me on to get a better understanding of the entire tech side of the errors and such (I'm admitted very limited in that end of things), but in the interim I thought I would query as to potential issues and/or solutions for these types of problems. Perhaps there is simply something fundamental I'm missing in the processing?
Old 2008-07-29, 08:40 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minburn View Post
A general query re: problems with corrupt files copied over a network. I routinely transfer files across a network system in two of my workrooms. Never problems with data files, nor wav files as such. But I began using TLH a while back and I'm finding that I have a greater number of corrupt (or perhaps more accurately, possibly corrupt) files showing up during decode (flac to wav) at a central workstation after transferring over from a DAW workstation (code to flac at the DAW, do further work after decoding to wav at the other desk). The network is fairly simple, being directed through a wired/wireless router (use wireless for this task). I've checked out these files as wav after decoding through errors and really nothing stands out that would affect sound or performance using the file. It has spurred me on to get a better understanding of the entire tech side of the errors and such (I'm admitted very limited in that end of things), but in the interim I thought I would query as to potential issues and/or solutions for these types of problems. Perhaps there is simply something fundamental I'm missing in the processing?
Do I understand you correctly that TLH is *not* used on network paths (TLH on a machine to encode wav to flac (source/target folder on this machine), TLH on another machine to decode flac to wav (source/target folder on this machine))?

If so, I don't know why TLH should be the reason for your troubles. Which version(s) of TLH do you use? If it's not v2.4.1.160 please upgrade (http://tlh.easytree.org). Are the same versions used? If not please ensure that they are. And what is the exact wording of the error messages?

Robert
Old 2008-07-29, 08:46 AM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

Yes, I didn't understand the question either. Are you using TLH on one mechine, and decoding files on another mechine that are networked together? If so do you then check the files from the same mechine that the files are on, or do you check the files from a remote mechine? Is the problem when you transfer flac files (or decoded flacs) from one mechine to another?
Thanks Mike
Old 2008-07-31, 12:52 PM
Now he's just a bag of garbage
349.24 GB/860.90 GB/2.47

What does it mean when i try to get TLH to check for SBE's and it gives me this result:

information about audio data is not available.

The flac fingerprints check out and nobody else is has mentioned a problem in the torrent's thread, so...

i'm using TLh 2.4.1 on a WinXP machine and the torrent in question is this one.

i have been playing around with the tags using foobar2000. Could that have had something to do with it?

Thanks!

----------Nothing is Real!
Old 2008-08-01, 11:16 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Lightbulb Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaz View Post
What does it mean when i try to get TLH to check for SBE's and it gives me this result:

information about audio data is not available.

The flac fingerprints check out and nobody else is has mentioned a problem in the torrent's thread, so...

i'm using TLh 2.4.1 on a WinXP machine and the torrent in question is this one.

i have been playing around with the tags using foobar2000. Could that have had something to do with it?

Thanks!
Chris, please see my post in the torrent thread you're referring to.

Robert
Old 2008-08-03, 04:37 PM
8.12 GB/1.86 GB/0.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1061 View Post
Yes, I didn't understand the question either. Are you using TLH on one mechine, and decoding files on another mechine that are networked together? If so do you then check the files from the same mechine that the files are on, or do you check the files from a remote mechine? Is the problem when you transfer flac files (or decoded flacs) from one mechine to another?
Thanks Mike
Yes. Two workstations networked (hard wired through D-Link DIR 625 router) to each other. One machine has an archive of flac files. I routinely transfer these flac files through the network to the other workstation, use TLH on the receiving workstation to decode to wav, then work with the files. Problem is that using the same version of TLH (2.4.1.160) they check out fine if I decode on the original workstation, but come up with a multitude of errors (yes . . . quite a few) when decoding on the receiving workstation. Same options, same settings during decode.

The error is consistently 'file is truncated or otherwise corrupt'. This showing up after decoding on the receiving workstation. But a check decode on the originating workstation shows no error.

I'm stumped. In the interim, I've been decoding on the first workstation then sending the wav files for processing. But I can't think of any reason why the direct transfer of flac for decoding shouldn't work.
Old 2008-08-03, 04:55 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minburn View Post
Yes. Two workstations networked (hard wired through D-Link DIR 625 router) to each other. One machine has an archive of flac files. I routinely transfer these flac files through the network to the other workstation, use TLH on the receiving workstation to decode to wav, then work with the files. Problem is that using the same version of TLH (2.4.1.160) they check out fine if I decode on the original workstation, but come up with a multitude of errors (yes . . . quite a few) when decoding on the receiving workstation. Same options, same settings during decode.

The error is consistently 'file is truncated or otherwise corrupt'. This showing up after decoding on the receiving workstation. But a check decode on the originating workstation shows no error.

I'm stumped. In the interim, I've been decoding on the first workstation then sending the wav files for processing. But I can't think of any reason why the direct transfer of flac for decoding shouldn't work.
Well, you never know ... But it's easy to check whether the direct transfer introduces any errors. Create a _wholefile_ md5 checksum file of the file set on the source machine before transfer, transfer the flac files and the checksum file, and verify the checksum file on the target machine. If the checksum files do not verify there's a problems with the transfer.

Robert
Old 2008-08-06, 07:39 AM
41.27 GB/10.19 GB/0.25

Thanks roann for your excellent tool 'TLH'. Bravo!!
Old 2008-08-07, 12:42 PM
182.15 GB/590.39 GB/3.24

Anybody had trouble converting WAV to VBR mp3 with TLH? (I know, I know...NOT for here, or any other lossless torrent site...for my own personal use.) With a few different recordings, all I get is static on every mp3. Thoughts?
Old 2008-08-08, 09:57 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Question Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbernardini View Post
Anybody had trouble converting WAV to VBR mp3 with TLH? (I know, I know...NOT for here, or any other lossless torrent site...for my own personal use.)
No troubles at all (at least on my side). No user reports up to now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbernardini View Post
With a few different recordings, all I get is static on every mp3. Thoughts?
1) Which version of TLH are you using? Latest one is v2.4.1 build 160, so please upgrade if necessary (homepage).
2) Did you replace the subcomponent lame.exe (comes with the TLH installer) with another version?
3) Use TLH to show the audio file details. Any errors?
4) If step 3 works try to encode some of the WAV files to FLAC. Any errors?

Robert
Old 2008-08-08, 11:06 AM
1.08 TB/2.25 TB/2.08

"Traders Little Helper" is awesome!

Thanks for that.
Old 2008-08-08, 08:23 PM
182.15 GB/590.39 GB/3.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
No troubles at all (at least on my side). No user reports up to now.

1) Which version of TLH are you using? Latest one is v2.4.1 build 160, so please upgrade if necessary (homepage).
2) Did you replace the subcomponent lame.exe (comes with the TLH installer) with another version?
3) Use TLH to show the audio file details. Any errors?
4) If step 3 works try to encode some of the WAV files to FLAC. Any errors?

Robert
1. I'm using the latest version. However, I had the same problem with 2.2.1.
2. As far as I know, I didn't replace it (not intentionally, anyway). How can I check to make sure I've got the right one?
3. No errors.
4. The WAV files encode to FLAC with no problems. It has happened with several different WAV sources (some self-made audience recordings, some DVD rips, etc.). I can't find a common factor that could lead to this problem.

Thanks for your help!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper