The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-05, 10:38 PM
29.43 GB/52.58 GB/1.79

How Do I Burn Flac Files to a CD-R

I would like to know how to burn flac files to a cd-r if it is possible. The reason being is I know someone who wants me to d/l a show for him because he cannot do it right now but he would like to have the show in flac format. Is there a way to d/l the flac files and then burn them to a cd-r? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-05, 10:47 PM
199.09 GB/91.10 GB/0.46

Re: How Do I Burn Flac Files to a CD-R

I often burn flac files onto a cd. Using Toast I burn these files as data, not sound files. You can probably burn them onto a cd using any program as long as you burn them as data files.
Old 2006-02-05, 10:59 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yeah, basically just burn them like you would any document or text file or picture file or.... Just select data CD and then drag the folder into the window and hit Burn.

Old 2006-02-05, 10:59 PM
urinal_cakes
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

it all depends on what program you are using to burn, if you are like most pc users.. you are using nero, in that case.. you need a plugin to burn flac into cd-audio. http://www.bitburners.com/Software/D...LAC_v1.0.0.33/
download this and extract it into your common files/ahead/audio plugin files.. something to that effect.. if you're using something else, please reply.
Old 2006-02-06, 12:30 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

^ you really wouldnt have to use a plugin unless you wanted them to convert first to wav or listen directly off of the cd with shnamp or something like that.
Old 2006-02-06, 04:18 AM
29.43 GB/52.58 GB/1.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinal_cakes
it all depends on what program you are using to burn, if you are like most pc users.. you are using nero, in that case.. you need a plugin to burn flac into cd-audio. http://www.bitburners.com/Software/D...LAC_v1.0.0.33/
download this and extract it into your common files/ahead/audio plugin files.. something to that effect.. if you're using something else, please reply.
I have Winamp installed on my PC along with EAC and I also have dBpoweramp. Thanks for your replies thus far.
Old 2006-02-06, 04:29 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

okay, so in your first post you said your friend wanted the show in FLAC format not audio format. I don't understand why everybody is telling you to burn an audio cdr.

do you have a program like nero that you can use to burn normal data discs (i.e. not for a walkman or car cd player)? that's what you need to use.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-02-06, 09:33 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
okay, so in your first post you said your friend wanted the show in FLAC format not audio format. I don't understand why everybody is telling you to burn an audio cdr.
Hey!!! The first two replies told him how to burn them as flac files!

Old 2006-02-10, 10:25 AM
24.34 GB/119.24 GB/4.90

is it possible to copy FLAC's onto discs that are readable by a stereo? or do i have to convert them to have this capability?

i have nero 7, and downloaded the plugin, but there is no specific plugin folder for version 7 and even after i copied the plugin file into all relevany folders, it still didn't seem to help.
Old 2006-02-10, 11:07 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

keep a copy of the FLAC files and everything that came in the folder that you downloaded via bt. burn this as a data disc.

if you want a copy for your car, you need to do a conversion. the type of cd/cdr that plays in your "normal" cd player is called an "Audio CDR" (or if its pressed, then "Audio CD"). Audio cds/cdrs are very difficult to burn perfectly and are difficult and time-consuming to verify so we recommend them only for personal use (keep the FLACs as mentioned above, and trade those together with the other little files included).

EAC is the preferred prog for ripping & burning audio cdrs because it provides error reports and is capable of compensating offsets and creating perfect copies. If your burning drive is supported by EAC, this should be your first choice. Instructions on installation and configuration of EAC are available here. EAC also can't read FLAC files, so you need to temporarily decompress the FLACs to .wav format using TLH or FFE (links in my signature). Then open EAC, hit "wri" on the left, drag the .wav files into the window one at a time, then write the audio cdr (the option is in one of the drop downs there). There is one more popup window with a button that says "make it so" which starts the actual burning. After the audio cdr is burned, test it out in your home stereo, then delete the wav files (keep the FLACs).

I don't burn very many audio cdrs these days and when I do I usually don't use nero for the reasons mentioned above. there is also an additional pain that nero likes to add annoying 2 second "TAO" (track at once) gaps, so make sure you are in disc at once mode when using nero, you also may have to select the files in your compilation and set the gaps to zero (except the first track has to have 2 seconds at the beginning of it for some reason ). If you can't get the nero plugins working (I never did) you can temporarily decompress to wav as mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Is that about as clear as mud? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Hey!!! The first two replies told him how to burn them as flac files!
okay you are off the hook!

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble