The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-12-20, 02:35 PM
197.47 GB/147.99 GB/0.75

mac v. pc

so i need a new computer - i basically download audio/video files from a bt, dime and here, burn them to disc or push to ipod...that is pretty much all i will use my computer for.

the big question is do i go MAC or PC? my pc now has so many cords from my external dvd burner, hdd, usb port, i also dont want to have to keep up with the latest version of virus protection everyday for the next 4 years...i'd really like to reduce the number of cords i have and i like the lack of virus and trojans on the macs. the IMAC looks nice, the standard setup is very attractive. any suggestions from the community?

here are a few things i'm looking for as standard features:

big hdd
fast processor
lots of ram
slim design, no additional tower and display

thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-20, 04:27 PM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Re: mac v. pc

It sounds like an iMac is what you're after but don't expect to be able to upgrade anything at a later date other than RAM or the HDD. If you're buying new, do not, under any circumstances, opt for anything other than the standard RAM on offer. Apple RAM is ludicrously overpriced and you will save around 200% (honestly) by buying decent 3rd party kit from Crucial etc.

Better than new would be a refurb from the online Apple Store. The only downside is that you don't get the flashy box but you save a significant of money and you're far more likely to get a flawless computer than if you bought new as it will have gone through numerous checks that a pristine machine will not have.

If you're looking for a 20", be aware that the older, white models had a better display than the newer aluminium ones and you may still be able to pick one up from the refurb store. The 24" models, white and aluminium, both have equivalent panels though all the aluminiums have glossy displays which I personally see as another vote in favour of the white models.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2007-12-20, 05:34 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

other than an imac or the Gateway ONE
an etch-a-sketch would also meet your criteria.
Old 2007-12-20, 05:41 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I've got a 24" iMac and I love it! The only problem I have had with it is one disc I put in and it wouldn't eject it. I had to google and google to finally get the thing out. Other than that,

My brother has a mac-mini hooked up to his TV screen cuz all he does is download videos and watch them. He says it's great for that and he hasn't had any problems in the almost two years he's had it.

Old 2007-12-20, 06:06 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

as a user of both, i'd go with the Mac hands down...i'm on a Mac mini at the moment, and aside from the integrated video card [which won't allow me to run my video editing suite], its a great $600 computer for everyday use

but if you got the $, go for the iMac
Old 2007-12-20, 06:33 PM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

iMac...the only draw back as noted in another thread is that it is trouble if you wanna burn tivo-type recording on it. I have a few and love 'em.
good luck
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2007-12-20, 08:39 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I don't know how much longer its going to be before mac users will need antivirus. its more expensive but easier to use, also keep in mind that a mac can run windows now too so you really really get the best of both worlds.

I like tinkering around with PC stuff and its all the easier when its so much cheaper. This is my first ever post from my Cormpaq Armada 1700 laptop I bought for $30 at the goodwill. Yes its slow but I like the fact that I don't have to worry all the time that somebody's gonna steal it, especially when I'm on vacation.

I also got a 800MHz P3 desktop for $20 at the same store, and it can run XP just fine. I'll get an Apple laptop for $20 in another 8 years... lol

...and no, I can't do video captures on thes old machines but audio works just great. I've recorded 8 simultaneous tracks on a 350MHz machine with 512MB RAM before with no crashing problems. protools for mac is famous for crashing all the time fwiw. depends on what purpose you need the computer for.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-12-20, 08:45 PM
197.47 GB/147.99 GB/0.75

the gateway one looks nice, will definitely check it out...i dont like that it is running vista (heard people hate it). i did see that you can both os on a mac, i probably wouldnt do that. i looked at the refurbed macs online, nice deals that might be a good route to go, leaving me some movie to add a gig of RAM.

thanks for the suggestions and advice!
Old 2007-12-20, 09:07 PM
TTD VIP
437.11 GB/10.44 TB/24.45

i ose mac and pc
i am mac all the way
but if all you seriously do is torrents a mac could be overkill unless you have the extra cash then go for it
Old 2007-12-20, 09:20 PM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

i use both, BUT i will never buy a new mac again

i really have a problem with the slim disk drive design instead of the tray/ mounting unmounting issues. And ive noticed a deterioration in apples cust. service and parts in general(REFURB)

I like having as much control over my computer as possible, apple simply doesn't provide that.

I have an old imac, the one with the half sphere base, i love the machine, but i wouldnt count on it as my only machine.

if you get a mac dont spend too much and get the service plan

my 2 cents
Old 2007-12-21, 03:19 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

PC for your needs.
Old 2007-12-21, 03:30 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

people keep saying that macs are more $, but you can get a mini for $500...last time i built a PC, it cost me almost $2,000
Old 2007-12-21, 07:29 AM
TTD VIP
437.11 GB/10.44 TB/24.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
people keep saying that macs are more $, but you can get a mini for $500...last time i built a PC, it cost me almost $2,000
600 actually and that doesn't have a dvd burner
get the mini with dvd burner and 700
add keyboard and screen you are at 850+
get a "torrent" pc for 400 complete

i have 1 iMac running OS8
1 iBook running 9
5 iMac running 10
2 mini running 10
1 powerbook running 10
3 iMacs that died after 8 yrs (all the same age and died within a month of each other)
the only trouble i ever had besides the 3 that died was a powerbook screen issue which was serviced free - it was a bitch to get fixed but they did it in the end

as for unmounting discs, you simply drag it to the trash if the eject key doesn't do it, you can't get much easier
Old 2007-12-21, 08:31 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
a comparable spec pc will be cheaper. about 2/3 the price.

i would think of computers as disposable if I was you. don't let the ability to upgrade in the future sway your opinion. technology changes so fast that you will be tossing what you have now in two years.
Old 2007-12-21, 10:00 AM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman View Post
technology changes so fast that you will be tossing what you have now in two years.
Look at the price of two-year-old Macs on eBay. Any excess you pay for a new Mac is more than compensated for by the fact that you have something worth selling a couple of years later if you want something newer and more shiny.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble