The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-28, 01:28 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

My router keeps resetting itself ARgH!

So I have this issue. It sort of comes and goes but it seems to be worse and worse. Maybe it is just the router. I don't know. It is a Westell Versalink. I have a PC hardwired to it. There is no port configurations on the PC. I use two Mac's via WiFi and one of those is my internet browser. I run OSX.3.9 on that one. It is port forwarded and at this time seems to be set up properly. It seems like when I am connected to a torrent(s) and using other internet connections, whether it is on the PC or the same Mac as the torrents, my router resets itself. I seem to be having problems with various clients (tomato, transmission, and azureus). They roll smoothly for a little bit but then choke down to 0 up and 0 down. Any ideas why my router would be resetting itself a lot. I don't think it is overheating but maybe it is. I do use a static NAT on my internet Mac. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-28, 01:31 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: My router keeps resetting itself ARgH!

what's your torrent client?
Old 2007-10-28, 01:33 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Why do you think your router is resetting itself? Are you forwarded ports suddenly not in there any longer?

Who is your internet provider? It isn't Comcast, is it?

Old 2007-10-28, 01:37 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

IF the router is power cycling (full reset/resync) - its the router. replace it.

when I say restart - I mean it restarts 'as if you unplugged-plugged it back in'.
software would not cause this device to restart.
they are standalone devices with their own firmware.
Old 2007-10-28, 02:33 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Quote:
what's your torrent client?
As stated various clients for Mac OS.

Quote:
Why do you think your router is resetting itself? Are you forwarded ports suddenly not in there any longer?
No it actually sort of recycles. The lights go black, then flash back on and go through the little patterns it does on start up. It just seems to coincide with multiple things hitting the line. Like if two people are on the internet and BT is running. Or if BT is running and then iTunes starts a download it might cause it. Other times it is more random.

Quote:
Who is your internet provider? It isn't Comcast, is it?
Oh yeah I should have said. It is Verizon.

Quote:
IF the router is power cycling (full reset/resync) - its the router. replace it.

when I say restart - I mean it restarts 'as if you unplugged-plugged it back in'.
software would not cause this device to restart.
they are standalone devices with their own firmware.
It sure does seem like the hardware because it is as described. The thing is that it is pretty intermittent and doesn't quite have a 100% predictable pattern.
Old 2007-10-28, 03:03 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

check the voltage on the wallwart and see if it is what it should be. The unit will list what it needs on the bottom. Stick a multimeter on the power plug and see if you get full voltage.
Old 2007-10-28, 03:23 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Pretty good idea. The first thing that comes to mind to say is that is has been in use for years and the problem sort of comes and goes. I'll try to check the voltage if and when I can. Thanks.
Old 2007-10-28, 03:28 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Does it only happen when you are on torrent(s) with a lot of peers? When I used a Linksys wired router, the red light would come on if I was connected to more than like 35 or 40 peers per torrent, and I would have to reset or unplug/plug back in the modem. I think it had something to do with the Linksys cable modem too (which eventually died), cause I tried just plugging the modem right into the computer. You could try limiting the number of peer connections per torrent to like 20 or 30 in your client.
Old 2007-10-28, 04:01 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Something to think about. As of right now I do not think that is part of the issue. Thanks.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble