The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-06, 01:43 PM
20.45 GB/13.94 GB/0.68

Question Can't Open Downloaded File

I just downloaded my first show from TTD after opening up the link through my music documents. I had downloaded the utorrent software first and had no problem installing that.

The concert torrent file took about 3 hours or so to download. When it finished it seem to start seeding on it's own without me giving that command or utoorent asking me for this option. Is this correct what was happening. It was doing so at about .1kb/s and the ETA was estimated at infinite, so I shut it down.

I clicked the file box at bottom and showed the files I had just downloaded. Utorrent in above box said the torrent was 100% downloaded. When I tried to open one of the individual songs (files) I received an error message that I can't open the file since the file may not be 100% downloaded. In box above stated that it was.

What has happened and what do I need to do to open up thesw files? I would aslo like to eventually put these files in my iTunes as well as making a backup copy of this concert torrent files onto cd as well. Please help as much as you can and thank you.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-06, 01:48 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Can't Open Downloaded File

You may want to verify that these files downloaded correctly by running the md5 checksum (if they are shn files) on them or by loading the flac files and doing a check on them. Did you download Traders Little Helper? That will do those checks for you. What application where you trying to open these files with?

Old 2006-02-06, 01:57 PM
20.45 GB/13.94 GB/0.68

Question Re: Can't Open Downloaded File

U2Lynne,

The files are shn files. I tried to open them with utorrent since that's what I used to download it with? It didn't work what should I use to open them with? Where do I get the md5 checksum and traders little helper from? None of them are flac files but a couple of them have the md5 extension. Are these the md5 check sum? Clear this up if you can. Thanks.
Old 2006-02-06, 04:02 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Go to the FAQ in the menu bar above and go to the Software section. Traders Little Helper is in there. That will allow you to do md5 checks on your files (the md5 checks to make sure all the data was downloaded correctly) and you can decompress the files to wav to burn a CD and you can do a lot of other things with it too. If you just want to play the shn files on your computer, you can download foobar2000 (get the Special installer which comes with all the right plugins for playing your lossless audio files).

Old 2006-02-06, 07:42 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

we really should get that guide finished and posted lynne...i'll try and work on it this week sometime...
Old 2006-02-06, 10:24 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yeah, I know we should. I actually did look at them the other day, but then got side-tracked.

Old 2006-02-06, 11:08 PM
20.45 GB/13.94 GB/0.68

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this will work. I'll let you know if I have any probems. Also since I downloaded my first torrent, when will that show up below my user name? Thanks.
Old 2006-02-06, 11:12 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

It depends on what torrent it was. Some torrents are on the old tracker (prior to July 2) and that tracker doesn't keep track of stats.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble