The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2009-04-17, 07:08 PM
1.34 TB/4.94 TB/3.68

Re: Our domains have been stolen

It appears that the web site is working through this link. I have been down since Tuesday. I think it is crap what happened. Sometimes I cant understand how greedy everyone has become. It is not right in my opinion. If there is anyway to help out, let me know. I want to thank everyone who has provided me with some of the most amazing music and video footage available. I want to give special thanks to you U2lynne, you are the reason I found this site in the first place. I had downloaded from dime and you had mentioned something about this site. I spent most of the 80's and early 90's tading through the mail and visiting record coventions, or even looking for the out of the ordinary record store. For you younger generation, be happy those days are gone, cause the access and quality you have right here, is the best you can find. I hope very much that all the people who manage and use this site know how much I appreciate what they have done-Gratefulkev
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-04-18, 01:22 AM
740.69 GB/853.00 GB/1.15

Bastards. Anyway managed to search out the new link here and still managing to download and upload, just seems like there's fewer seeders and leechers at the moment. Hope it all gets sorted.
Cheers.
Old 2009-04-18, 06:44 AM
72.03 GB/250.75 GB/3.48

Luckily I found thetradersden livejournal through a Google search, I was really shocked that the site seems to be vanished. Very sorry to hear about all the trouble to get back what is yours

It's a shame what happened, but after reading here, I think we all should be glad that not more damage was done. Thanks for setting up this temporary place so quick, and thanks for this link, it was very helpful. We'll keep on sharing, whether using this domain or the original one, once you get it back.
Old 2009-04-18, 07:55 AM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Sorry to hear about this Lynne. Obviously if you need help with anything let us know. You've got people from all walks of life here that would be more than happy to assist.

katz
Old 2009-04-18, 08:28 AM
95.09 GB/149.32 GB/1.57

RE: The domain theft.
When I checked the Whois database it doesn't show any evidence that any privileges for this domain have been transferred. It appears the client status including the name, address and e-mail haven't changed so it's not clear to me how the rights or authority do not rest with parties listed. I realize it's possible to temporarily "steal" anything from a financial identity to a parking space. But it isn't clear to me how or why any third-party is able to provide a more convincing case (for ownership) then the owners listed.
As a point of information it might be helpful to know how the system is flawed and/or why the safeguards are so lax. Simply put, it isn't clear to me that ownership was transferred so I don't understand how someone is able to hold your site hostage while all proof of ownership (care-custody-control) rests with "you".
Old 2009-04-18, 08:30 AM
83.00 GB/92.94 GB/1.12

They are scum, subhuman leeching parasitical scum... WELL DONNE LYNNE AND ALL AT TTD

Old 2009-04-18, 08:52 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenephew View Post
When I checked the Whois database it doesn't show any evidence that any privileges for this domain have been transferred. It appears the client status including the name, address and e-mail haven't changed so it's not clear to me how the rights or authority do not rest with parties listed. I realize it's possible to temporarily "steal" anything from a financial identity to a parking space. But it isn't clear to me how or why any third-party is able to provide a more convincing case (for ownership) then the owners listed.
As a point of information it might be helpful to know how the system is flawed and/or why the safeguards are so lax. Simply put, it isn't clear to me that ownership was transferred so I don't understand how someone is able to hold your site hostage while all proof of ownership (care-custody-control) rests with "you".
Well, the name currently listed on whois for thetradersden.org is Fred Meczywor . My name is not Fred Meczywor - nor do I live in Adams, MA. I'm not sure how you can say it doesn't look like the name and address haven't changed.

Old 2009-04-18, 09:30 AM
83.00 GB/92.94 GB/1.12

Is that a real name.
Or is he in fact pretending to be a badly spelt Bishop Muzorewi of Rhodesia
Old 2009-04-18, 09:41 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I'm sure it's another fake name just like all the emails I have for him.

Old 2009-04-18, 09:52 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenephew View Post
You've missed a few things. The info you seek is posted in plain sight here in the forum. It'll help you understand.
Old 2009-04-18, 10:07 AM
35.27 GB/31.02 GB/0.88

Needless to say I want to do horrible things to the jerk off or offs who did this! May they rot in hell.
Old 2009-04-18, 11:34 AM
981.62 GB/865.25 GB/0.88

The quote below came from someone outside the TTD community. It ties in with the ease with which the domain was stolen and Godaddy's lack of responsiveness in resolving the issue:

"I would suspect that Godaddy themselves took the domain, they have a reputation for such activity and would be no surprise. The asshat probably works there. I almost took a job there and glad I didn't after some research into their history."

I don't know if anyone would want the FBI investigating this problem, though. Bit torrenting is in a sort of legal gray area, and considering the verdict against the owners of The Pirate Bay, it could open a can of worms.
Old 2009-04-18, 12:30 PM
7.37 GB/26.26 GB/3.56

I just started here and im not very experienced in bittorrent use. My torrents dont work anymore for downloading and uploading. I read i can re-download them from this url and they should work again, but what happens when the old url goes back up? Does it mean you have to switch around again?
Old 2009-04-18, 12:44 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkk View Post
I just started here and im not very experienced in bittorrent use. My torrents dont work anymore for downloading and uploading. I read i can re-download them from this url and they should work again, but what happens when the old url goes back up? Does it mean you have to switch around again?
Yes, however I posted a real easy method to use to change the announce url here. What I posted is for Azureus/Vuze, but I am pretty sure there is a similar way in uTorrent. So, you can change them all with a couple of clicks now, and then when we get the domains back, you can change them back with just a couple of clicks.

Old 2009-04-18, 12:50 PM
7.37 GB/26.26 GB/3.56

You're right it works the same way in uTorrent. Thanks, i somehow read over your guide earlier.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions