The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-11-27, 02:03 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Question computer slowdown - fried CPU?

I'm having a big problem, and I think I know why, but what do you think?

My computer started slowing down, to the point it won't play music without making ticking skip noises in the music. Wav files play worse than flac files. This is in every player I can find. Funny thing is, I was able to play DVD files with powerDVD still ok...

At one point before I noticed this I thought I should clean out the dust, etc lurking inside. I saw that the smaller fan on my motherboard wasn't turning. It is actually siezed. I had no idea. There's a big jet engine fan right above it, working fine.

Could I have fried my CPU just enough to slow it down, but not kill it? I'm using this computer to write this. It now takes 3 times as long to start up, burning a data DVD took 1 1/2 hours and another hour to verify (usually 15 mins/10mins)...

Can anyone detail their experiences with fried CPU's? What other sorts of symptoms can I expect?
Old 2007-11-27, 04:41 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Re: computer slowdown - fried CPU?

I don't think that you have problems with CPU. When a CPU has problems it doesn't work (at least that happened on all my intel CPU).
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-11-27, 05:15 AM
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Question Re: computer slowdown - fried CPU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000
I don't think that you have problems with CPU. When a CPU has problems it doesn't work (at least that happened on all my intel CPU).
I've got an AMD Athalon processor. I don't think it's totally fried, just a bit heat damaged to cook a few circuits.
I've ducttaped another mini-fan on top over the siezed one. It's probably keeping it cooler than no working fan at all, but not by much.
What could be slowing me down, then? Someone was telling me about a Firefox problem that can eat up CPU power... Just before I started writing this a Firefox update popped up.
I've tried installing my soundcard in different slots, plugging in different drivers for it. I don't really remember changing anything to make this creep in.
Old 2007-11-27, 05:40 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Drivers can cause problems. I update my drivers just when I have problems with games or other s**ts. No problems no need for update.
Viruses can slow down PC's.
Firefox as well. When I work on a slow pc I never use Firefox. Java & flash (specially the last one) can slow down very much a pc.
Firewalls & antiviruses can slow down.

Your CPU temperature can be monitored with Speedfan. If your CPU has a temperature of something over 70C (I think AMD supports higher temperatures then Intel so I can't tell you exactly) you have something to worry about.

When your computer is slowing down look into your task manager and see if any of the working processes is using more CPU then is should be.
Old 2007-11-27, 08:52 AM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist
I saw that the smaller fan on my motherboard wasn't turning. It is actually siezed. I had no idea. There's a big jet engine fan right above it, working fine.
This is your culprit most likely. You are overheating your southbridge chip IMO. It is the one controlling your HDD and CD/DVD burner. The big fan above it probably saved it from getting completely fried. Time for a new motherboard.

For more info on the southbridge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbr...28computing%29

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Old 2007-11-27, 09:13 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

press Ctrl*Shift*Esc (task manager)
click CPU column - see if a process is chewing up your CPU.
also check the memory usage of programs.

then select the Performance Tab for a quick graphical view.

to check 3rd party drivers (turn on/off)
Start> Run
type 'msconfig'
you can disable all on the Startup Tab (preload of software components)
- reboot & test drive -
also select Services Tab (check 'hide all Microsoft services)
then disable all 3rd party drivers.
-reboot and test drive-

this process should help you take software/drivers out of the equation.
Old 2007-11-27, 10:30 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

I would add to direwolf-pgh's suggestion:
* get some good registry cleaner and compacter (sorry I'm doing it manually hence no idea what is good -> google)

* defrag your hard drive(s)

Excellent diagnostic and toolbox suite: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...nalssuite.mspx It's not Micro$oft but developed by a well known computer guru. Check specifically for: Contig, PageDefrag, ProcessExplorer, ProcessMonitor, ProcFeatures.
Old 2007-11-27, 09:45 PM
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Unhappy Re: computer slowdown - fried CPU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh
press Ctrl*Shift*Esc (task manager)
click CPU column - see if a process is chewing up your CPU.
also check the memory usage of programs.

then select the Performance Tab for a quick graphical view.

to check 3rd party drivers (turn on/off)
Start> Run
type 'msconfig'
you can disable all on the Startup Tab (preload of software components)
- reboot & test drive -
also select Services Tab (check 'hide all Microsoft services)
then disable all 3rd party drivers.
-reboot and test drive-

this process should help you take software/drivers out of the equation.
Nothing's really using up CPU in my task manager - system idle process is usually in the 90% area...

Start>run>msconfig doesn't work. Is that an XP thing? I'm on Win2000pro.

Speedfan says a lot of bad things...
Temp1 144C (whoa!)
Temp2 106C (ouch!)
Temp3 -73C(what?)

I think it's time for a new mother(f^@%er)board, too, maybe. Any other ideas?

I can still play DVD files without any noticeable problems, which is wierd. Flacs and Wavs play with skipping ticks every couple seconds. I would have thought that video takes more resources than just sound.
Old 2007-11-27, 10:46 PM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

I had a similar problem when I first got my current computer. All the audio played, any format would be slowed down and choppy/skippy/clicky. Also for a while after DVD's played in any program would have the same effect. I'm convinced it was a virus as at first it only lasted a day, and then when it started working again, it went to shit. I got a new anti-virus (AVG-Free) and haven't had the problem since.

So, I'm no expert, but I would try re-formatting and/or changing your virus protection. Again, just a suggestion as it could be a completely different problem.
Old 2007-11-28, 01:30 AM
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Thumbs down Re: computer slowdown - fried CPU?

Well, I'm using AVG (free) antivirus, and have been for some time. Also AVG antispyware (free version) and spybot s&d. Over a year with them no problems until this week.
I ran a test - HotCPU tester Pro4 lite - it ran a 6 hour test that maxed out the cpu (it says) and found no problem... Anyone know any test progs that might diagnose my problem? Google lists hundreds of them and I don't know which ones are good vs. ones that just want to sell me useless stuff!
I'm starting to wonder if my soundcard is a problem or something. I might try a different cheapo soundcard or borrow an outboard one to try that way.
Still, the confuser is slow, so maybe it's not the soundcard.
Anyone have a cheap deal on a motherboard they're not using?
Crap this sux!
Old 2007-11-28, 01:58 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

I think you should search for a new motherboard in stores (if you find one). In my country a motherboard for your kind of CPU it's more expensive then one for the new CPUs (dual core; quad core etc.).
The temperatures you wrote higher are surely wrong. You can have a motherboard-software incompatibility or some broken sensors on your motherboard or sensors are disconnected etc.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble