The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-03, 06:35 PM
391.95 GB/286.43 GB/0.73

why no writing on discs???

i noticed that noone writes on discs. I wrote on alot of them until my first trade and then quit writing on them. Why is this? and how do you know what's on the disc?
thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-03, 07:02 PM
261.52 GB/295.81 GB/1.13

Re: why no writing on discs???

The pen dye can seep through the disc surface and damage the data. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but after a few years. And even if you use pens that are "CDR safe", it's still not the best idea if you value your data.

You *can* write on the inner ring, or the outer envelope/case, or print a directory of the disc & use that.

Oh, and attaching those round labels to CDRs and DVDRs can also be risky, though I know that many people do it.
Old 2007-04-03, 07:08 PM
261.52 GB/295.81 GB/1.13

What I do is save my downloaded torrents to DVDRs, and can usually get several on each (depending on the size of the torrents). I then print the directory using a great little program, Karen's Power Tools' "Directory Printer" (do a websearch if you want it), and make a printout of what is on each of my DVDRs & put that with my slimcase.

If I decide to burn off personal copies of anything to CDR, I use a cd-safe pen to write on the disc so I know what it is. If I burn off copies for trading, I write what the disc is on the paper sleeve instead.

People also use large binders that have those CD "pages", and is a great space saver.
Old 2007-04-03, 07:59 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

WhereIsIt is the program I use (pay program)

If you don't want to pay for a program: Go to www.nonags.com and search the site for "catalog." There are a number of programs that will import the contents of discs to a database.

I'm willing to pay for WhereIsIt tho for a couple reasons. First, it will import the *.txt file information that people include with torrents. This means no typing or copy/paste by me (I put the disc in...WII scans the info in...spits it out). Second, it will import thumbnails of the artwork if you want to, third, it is so easy to export to html to make a webpage that it's simple beyond belief. The below link to my DVD's was created in about 2-5 minutes. All I have to do outside of WII is change the colors of the borders to white (personal preference). It will also export to a number of MS compatible formats if needed.
http://home.comcast.net/~musicavista/DVD.html

Video DVDs I do in alpha listing.

For audio shows I just burn multiple shows to each disc (DVD), then number each disc in progression (i.e., BTLD0001, BTLD0002, etc), then sort my listing by alpha...so if someone wants a certain show I just cross reference to the disc number to find it....no need to keep the shows in any order on the physical discs themselves with a database. If you use the program "Burn To The Brim" you can ensure you always burn as much possible to each disc...meaning less wasted space=less money for discs. Takes maybe a minute to find a show if I'm slow.

I know some people still use Excel or even text files...but that's about as dark ages as writing your list down nowadays if your collection is over ten shows...no insult intended to those of you who still do that.
Old 2007-04-03, 08:06 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Oh, to be fair, I should mention that for my DVD listing I do take the extra step of "assigning" artwork pictures to each listing (if I have one) as opposed to just importing a thumbnail automatically. Just because I can get them a bit larger that way....however, it does take up some extra room when creating a website tho. It'd just be too much of a burdon if I did the same for my audio listing....so I don't even publish the artwork for my audio stuff.
Old 2007-04-03, 08:47 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

I have sharpied 10,000+ discs. I am not scared.
Old 2007-04-03, 09:04 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleantone
I have sharpied 10,000+ discs. I am not scared.
never had a disc "go bad" from a sharpie
----------------

those big sticker labels seem to "go bad" after a decade or so - took the entire top coating off some CDs (great excuse to check for an upgrade)

the "lightscribe" DVD-R/CD-R looks decent - dont have one myself - have to use lightscribe discs
Old 2007-04-04, 11:06 AM
789.83 GB/484.60 GB/0.61

bwahahahaha "the dye can ruin a disc" yep...after about 50 years or so.

I ask people not write on discs because their hand writing is atrocious and I prefer to have all my shows look the same with my writing on them.
Old 2007-04-05, 02:45 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

i write on audio discs i use for myself but i dont write on data back up discs, just my preference, i am pretty sure i havent had any disc problems due to sharpie but i once heard somewhere that its ok to write on them with water based writing tools but not alcohol based, seems like a crock of shite to me
Old 2007-04-05, 04:18 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

^yep

sharpies are fine, never ruined one disc for me. but when I mail trade I never write on the discs because of the superstition... or perhaps ppl just want to see their own writing on their own discs.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-04-05, 04:25 PM
a.k.a. CaddieO
486.73 GB/695.24 GB/1.43

Lightscribe is really nice.....but, also about 20-30 minutes just to label the disc but I still like it when I'm not in a hurry
Old 2007-04-05, 06:45 PM
261.52 GB/295.81 GB/1.13

Yeah, I've been eyeing lightscribe for a while, looks pretty groovy.

The stack of Sony CDRs I have here (which is not my normal media brand) state, "You can write on the label side of this disc with an oil-based felt-tip pen". Interesting.

Either way, I basically do what jcrab66 does, write on ones for my use, and don't for trades or backups. The "permanent marker" qualities of a Sharpie just make me leery, I would think they add something to the pen dye so that it penetrates surfaces more.

Good to see you again, Five!
Old 2007-04-05, 08:47 PM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokodyle
You *can* write on the inner ring, or the outer envelope/case, or print a directory of the disc & use that.
Yeah, I've been writing on the inner ring recently on my archives and video discs (but no writing on trades, of course), even though I suspect that bit about Sharpies is mostly superstition (I think that the damage would only occur while the ink is still wet--there's alcohol in the pens specifically because it evaporates rapidly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadu
I ask people not write on discs because their hand writing is atrocious and I prefer to have all my shows look the same with my writing on them.
I assure you my handwriting is not atrocious...you'd want me to write on your rings if you saw my handwriting.
Old 2007-04-06, 01:17 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Good to see you again, Five!
likewise

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-04-06, 01:46 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
Either way, I basically do what jcrab66 does, write on ones for my use, and don't for trades or backups.
This is my modus operandi as well.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble