The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-06-27, 02:38 PM
salmonella
98.63 GB/80.96 GB/0.82

.torrent upload failure

When I tried to upload a .torrent file (Crosby and Nash1976-09-10.torrent) I got this message, "Upload of file failed. If this is a torrent upload failure, see list of common causes on the Upload Page." I'm not seeing anything on the Upload Page which directly addresses this issue (i.e., common causes of .torrent upload failure).

I have uploaded a few shows here in the past. I created my .torrent file exactly as I did in the past. I used uTorrent (Mac) 1.5.14 to create the file. I have tried altering the .torrent name to no avail. I have not used any "banned" characters (e.g., /, :, etc.) in the .torrent file name. I did not alter the file set/folder after creating the .torrent file. All required fields on the Upload Page were filled in appropriately.

Have I been banned from uploading? I hope not. If so, I did not receive any message of it.

Please help me. Thank you for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-06-27, 06:31 PM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Re: .torrent upload failure

The times I have gotten that message, I found I had not changed the tracker in utorrent from my default to the tracker I was seeding to.
Old 2012-06-27, 06:58 PM
salmonella
98.63 GB/80.96 GB/0.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by germain View Post
The times I have gotten that message, I found I had not changed the tracker in utorrent from my default to the tracker I was seeding to.
Thank you, germain, for your response, however, I'm not sure that applies. I know that uTorrent is more "full-featured" for PC than Mac, and I am a Mac guy. Also, I've never "changed the tracker...from my default" and never had a problem before. Also, in this particular case, I successfully uploaded this particular show to two other trading sites.
Old 2012-06-27, 08:15 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

He means you should check to be sure the announce URL is exactly what is given on the upload instructions. That's one of the reasons an upload might fail.

Other reasons include the size of the file, whether the file type is allowed (be sure you spelled the extension right), or the special chars issue - but it sounds like you have checked most of the normal stuff.

I think the next step might be to doublecheck the announce URL you have in whatever app you are using to create the .torrent file.
Old 2012-06-27, 08:56 PM
salmonella
98.63 GB/80.96 GB/0.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
He means you should check to be sure the announce URL is exactly what is given on the upload instructions. That's one of the reasons an upload might fail.

Other reasons include the size of the file, whether the file type is allowed (be sure you spelled the extension right), or the special chars issue - but it sounds like you have checked most of the normal stuff.

I think the next step might be to doublecheck the announce URL you have in whatever app you are using to create the .torrent file.
Thank you, Jameskg, for your response. You are correct, I did check the "normal" stuff (i.e., file size (822 MG, extension spelling, and no special characters (which I actually addressed in my initial plea for help).

I also considered that url announce might be incorrect, even though I keep them in a document for my convenience and, indeed, it is the same. Nonetheless, after it failed twice, I copied it directly from the upload page specifically for this upload. No luck.

I'm sorry to be such a pill about this. I hate being the problem child (particularly since I'm 62! HA!). This is NOT the kind of challenge I like to pose...

I think I'll try uploading it again just for the heck of it. If it shows up you'll know this has, somehow, resolved itself. I'm skeptical, but what the heck.

Thank you again.

Last edited by salmonella; 2012-06-27 at 09:00 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 2012-06-27, 09:27 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Oh wait...

Do you mean your .torrent file is 822MB? As in 822 MegaBytes, when you said "822MG"?

If so, that is the problem. A .torrent file is just a list of file names and hashes (checksum which are used to verify a file has been completely assembled once it is downloaded) and is usually very small, like about 100kB (kilobytes) or so.

The size is completely dependent upon the number of files in the .torrent.

If yours is really 822MB (MegaBytes), it sounds like your have somehow included the entire contents of the torrent (all data) in your .torrent file. The .torrent file is really just a roadmap of sorts for each user to download so their torrent application can find the different pieces of the files from all the other peers and seeds running the same .torrent.

If the .torrent file itself were that big, that would be why it was being rejected when you tried to upload it.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:14 PM
salmonella
98.63 GB/80.96 GB/0.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
Oh wait...

Do you mean your .torrent file is 822MB? As in 822 MegaBytes, when you said "822MG"?

If so, that is the problem. A .torrent file is just a list of file names and hashes (checksum which are used to verify a file has been completely assembled once it is downloaded) and is usually very small, like about 100kB (kilobytes) or so.

The size is completely dependent upon the number of files in the .torrent.

If yours is really 822MB (MegaBytes), it sounds like your have somehow included the entire contents of the torrent (all data) in your .torrent file. The .torrent file is really just a roadmap of sorts for each user to download so their torrent application can find the different pieces of the files from all the other peers and seeds running the same .torrent.

If the .torrent file itself were that big, that would be why it was being rejected when you tried to upload it.
I guess great minds think alike! I was going to clarify that the 822MB referred to the files I was attempting to upload when supper intervened, and when the wife says "dinner is on," I pay attention (even though, in this case, bacon was not involved). HA! The .torrent file is 18kb.

Just for the heck of it, I'm going to try to upload a different file-set.

Let me thank you again for your suggestions.
Old 2012-06-27, 11:41 PM
salmonella
98.63 GB/80.96 GB/0.82

Okay. This is very bizarre. As I mentioned in my post above, I decided to try uploading a completely different file-set. I decided on a July 8, 1967 Reverend Gary Davis soundboard recording. No problem. Everything went smoothly. I can't explain it, I'm just thankful it went as it was supposed to.

Thank you very much, germain and Jameskg, for your responses/suggestions. You rock!

I think next, probably several days from now, I'm going to attempt to upload the file-set I was originally going to share. It will be interesting to see if it "takes." Fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble