View Single Post
Old 2009-01-05, 12:06 PM

Re: What computer hardware/software to use to get cassete to computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post

I disagree that I would need to 'retransfer' if I didn't like what I'd applied to one track; My approach would be transfer cassette, then make a copy of the transferred track on the HDD, and if needed revert to the copy as the 'raw' transfer.... But I'm coming at it from a different angle to you; most of what I transfer is the tapes I recorded myself over the years; which generally have consistent levels, have been in good storage and are free from dropouts etc. Most of my transfers are just a case of "transfer tape to Alesis; make track splits; fade at any tape flips; join/fade any split tracks over the tape flips; normalize to peak level" and I'm done. Generally no EQ, limiting, compression or anything.
I can see where that would work just fine for what you do. Some of the tapes I'm transferring are from 78 and certainly have a little wear and tear. I just can't think of too many tapes the I don't balance spots on the left and right channels independantly, of fix drop outs or something. I agree, I'm prolly a lil OCD there so some may not go to the trouble. I would rather do more surgical edits on particular pieces rather than do sweeping changes to the whole file. just a matter of preference

As for the 1/8" jack input. I've used a good set of balanced cables to go from my cr-5a to my edirol r-09HR and then did the same transfer from the cr-5A to my tascam HD-P2 and the difference was very minimal, if at all. I didn't get real in depth with it. Are there any comparisons done per cable connect type and audio loss anywhere? It is one point I toil with when I think about making the purchase. I would really like to go DSD without having to spend 1000 on the MR-1000

Some flaws are to be expected, Not saying it's without issues, but so far, I would still consider getting one, just to play with and probably will at some point. The tascam HD-P2 I can tell you is tried and proven as is the MR-1000.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes