View Single Post
Old 2006-12-05, 03:57 PM
Long Distance Runner

Re: Seeking advice dealing with internet provider...

As suggested, I have changed over to uTorrent and forced encryption (from ABC previously). In reading the link that was supplied by Sally, it looks like folks had even specified certain ports that are less likely to be throttled, so I am trying those suggestions, also.

It appears that there is a 60 GB/mth "cap" on my usage per their policies and procedures. I can jump up to 100GB/mth for an extra $10.00 ($CDN). In contrast, the phone company sells hi-speed service in this area, but they have set the max usage at 30GB/mth. I have heard they are the real bastards of this business, so I won’t switch unless I have to. I still can't believe these companies can get away with this stuff. I guess they figure we should all pay for hi-speed internet so we can read our emails once or twice a month. Seems to me that they are going to be pushed very hard by the market in the coming months (not my problem). The fellow I spoke with told me that many customers are already challenging them on their usage, but he would not go into further detail.

I will probably pay the extra $10.00 for added service and stay with legal downloads for now. The good news is that they told me that there was no problem with file sharing and p2p. They said they do not care what I am doing, which was a bit of a relief (I admit that I should be a little more discriminating anyway).

You guys are the best! I had a lot of anxiety in dealing with this issue... typical newbie. But, you supplied great input to keep me "on the path"! Somebody has gotta keep these corporations in check. I knew I could count on you. Thanks a bunch!!

Finally, I promised to share what I discovered about the dangers of all this file sharing and I must report that while my vision is perfect, I have noticed that hair is now growing from the palms of my hands... Play nice & thanks again!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes