View Single Post
Old 2005-02-04, 09:25 PM
h_vargas

Re: vhs>dvd: least expensive acceptable way

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Homebrew
I don't disagree with your analogy. I am just trying to point out that unless you are absolutely pressed for space, why not encode using the most possible data at a constant, high rate? I don't see how using less data (VBR 4000kbps avg) could give a better result.
excellent point. as i mentioned before (or if not, i should have mentioned before) that i generally only create DVDs at an average bitrate of 7000 (max of 8200), with LPCM audio. i had just use the lower bitrate example as just that - an example. i couldn't believe it myself, that a lower average bitrate with more passes could yield better picture quality (i.e. less pixelation during fast scenes) than a higher bitrate with a single pass.

i have a Smashing Pumpkins DVD off a promo VHS tape, that was encoded with CBR at 8000, and the quality, unfortunately, is not very good. there's a good bit of pixelation, and i know that could have been avoided if a multi-pass encoding method had been used (even 2 passes would have done wonders to cut down the pixelation effect it has).

but i totally agree on using the highest settings possible... which is why i never hesitate to split up a 2 hour show onto 2 DVDs. i'd rather pay an additional $0.70 and use another TY DVD and have the best quality possible.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes