View Single Post
Old 2005-02-03, 03:18 PM
h_vargas

Re: vhs>dvd: least expensive acceptable way

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Homebrew
I use a Canopus ADVC-100, which is an external hardware converter. I like the idea of having a dedicated device outside the computer for converting the video rather than a PCI card. Connect your VCR s-video out to the Canopus box, which then connects to the PC using a firewire port. Free capture software is available or you can use several different applications to capture and render the video.

I would recommend this over a standalone burner due to the increased flexibility in editing and filtering when needed.

Another expense to consider is your playback deck - it is critical for getting the highest-quality capture. I bought a JVC HR-S9800U just for this purpose and it is a big improvement over your average VCR... you have lots of options to get the best possible output, and a built in time-based corrector, essential for encoding generated VHS tapes.

that's a sweet setup, New Homebrew. please don't misunderstand what i was saying - the Canopus devices ARE excellent quality (in build construction and in capturing quality). i know, i've used them. i was trying to point out a "cheap" alternative with the camcorder pass through, as i know a lot of people have digital camcorders now (even if just for "family use"), since the original poster is of course looking for the cheapest method of converting some VHS tapes.

and that is one sweet SVHS deck you have. the built-in TBC rocks the casbah.

at any rate, i definitely agree that it IS very nice to have a dedicated device for capturing DV to one's hard drive. (i actually have so many video projects that are in queue right now that i have both miniDV and digital8 camcorders hooked up because i have tons of DV tapes to convert over the next few weeks... and since the camcorders are already plugged up, i've just been using them for current VHS>DVD projects as well.)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes