View Single Post
Old 2008-09-15, 10:43 AM
TTD VIP

Re: Traders Den Sharing Standards (Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
DivX is not gonna happen here...simple as that
We should go back to snail mail trading of VHS and VCD, unknown source Cdr and maybe even tape trading audio

ahhh those were the days

I havent seen one valid argument in this thread against Divx or H264, people just regurgitate the 'lossy' argument or the 'dvd is what everyone is familiar with' argument

The REALITY is that DVD mpeg2 is the LOSSY format based on a codec that is 15 or 20 years old

YES you can encode a 2 hour show at 8000kbps with lpcm audio onto a dual layer disc(8 gigs) and get VERY good quality audio and video as compared to the master source. The point is you can ALSO encode the same source to Divx, MKV or H264 at around 2 to 3 gigs(1 gig per hour or higher) and get Similar or better quality than the dvd version.

I started out using H264 for archival and backup purposes, Hard drives were so cheap and codecs had advanced that it just made sense versus storing mindv tapes that could be damaged or have play back issues

Now my complete U2 collection, over 100 DV masters and DV clones fit on a 500 gig hard drive, with 200 gigs to spare

Use an inexpensive cable to connect my laptop to my TV and I can watch any of them on my TV in virtually perfect quality