View Single Post
Old 2008-01-04, 08:27 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregY View Post
TLH 2.0.1 b143 seemed to wreak havoc with my file associations as other people have pointed out.
Besides you up to now it's *only* ezkil (see post above) who has reported this, but for specific reasons I don't believe it's true what (s)he's saying.

Quote:
It took over all .txt file associations.
There can be only *one* file association for file type .txt (you know this if you're familiar with the way Windows handles file associations via the registry). Please don't take this as a offence, but I don't give credit to this take over. Why? The installer will *not* associate .txt files with TLH (it never did).

Quote:
This was on an almost fresh load of Windows XP SP2 with all patches and very few other apps installed. For example, after installing TLH, I went to the Start Menu to open the Change Log ("C:\Program Files\Trader's Little Helper\changelog.txt") - the text file opened using TLH, instead of my default text editor.
As I said above ... TLH is not some kind of text editor. What page TLH was opened with?

Quote:
TLH had associated itself with the .txt extension somehow. I was able to fix it by manually going through and restoring each extension that TLH had taken over.
What other extensions TLH had taken over?

Quote:
Also, in the newest version, when decoding FLAC, it flashes a DOS box for every file it decodes. This box goes right to the front instead of staying behind the active window. Kinda a pain if you're trying to do other tasks while files are decoding. I don't remember seeing the DOS box flash for every file decode in previous versions of TLH - it all seemed to be 'behind the scenes.'
Flashing a DOS box is inevitable the way TLH handles decoding now. *But* it's only a flash because after the box has been created it will be hidden immediately. So you cannot see the box. The only thing I can confirm is that TLH "steals" the focus from another task you're running while decoding each time a new file is processed. This will be fixed with the next release.

Quote:
I never had either of these issues with a previous version of TLH. And I'm not a PC noob either. I'm going to try to find a previous version and hope these kinks can be worked out. TLH is amazing and it's something I 'need' to use everyday.
*Always* get the installer from here, or use TLH via "Help" > "Check for update ...", or get the installer from me (just send me an email, specially if you want an older release). *Never* get TLH from other locations or other people.

Robert
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes