View Single Post
Old 2007-11-26, 05:39 AM
TTD Staff

Re: VHS to DVD conversion

like Silver stallion said, i would search to make sure these aren't already out there...even if they're not in circulation--if its only a few shows, i would recommend finding an experienced video editor/authorer who already has the gear and experience...i say this for a few reasons:

1. even if you buy an inexpensive VHS/DVD deck, it'll still set you back a few hundred bucks, the A>D conversion in those is usually lacking [which means mediocre quality at best], and you typically have no ability to create menus/set specific chapter points/set compression rates/etc

2. to get a good quality transfer, you really need a pro SVHS deck & quality A/D converter [a decent TBC helps as well, if the A/D device doesn't have it built in]...yer now looking at a well over a thousand dollars, for used equipment

3. VHS can be tricky, especially old VHS tapes...if you've never done any editing, syncing, authoring etc - it can be a time consuming process to learn...for just a few tapes, not sure it'd be worth it when there are numerous people with the knowledge/equipment to do it up right

if you wanna considering having someone else do it, try posting in the Tapers' Forum...but a word of warning, you'll want to check out a person well before agreeing to send them yer tapes...ask what gear they use, how many shows they've authored, what they've seeded here, etc...and ask for examples of their work

feel free to PM me with any ?s, and i'll try to help out