View Single Post
Old 2007-12-10, 11:24 PM

Got the call from Comcast !

I guess I'll be looking for a new ISP?

Comcast called and stated that I will get one warning and if I don't drastically reduce my usage I will be cut-off next month without warning. I was told that 6 times during the 4 minute conversation. I was told that out of 12 million subscribers I was using 1,000 times the bandwidth that normal customers use and I was in the top one-tenth of one percent highest users with almost 500 GB monthly (got to keep that ratio up!). I asked what was acceptable usage and was told that Comcast does not divulge that information to it's customers, I asked him how I was to know if I drastically reduced my usage ~ what would I reduce it too? I mentioned that I ordered additioanl service last month for $10 to increase my service from 6M to 8M, and he was kind off ticked off and stated that was for speed and not for usage, I asked if having more speed could perhaps increase usage; and I had to hear about drastically reducing my usage or get cut-off again.

I asked if there was a business service I could subscribe too, and I was told that I would qualify for the enterprise service at $1500. per month. When I asked if there was any service between the $69 service I have now and the $1500 service he said no he does not supply that information. I told him I would contact the business department and he mentioned I could do whatever I wanted too but he was going to cut me off next month if I don't drastically reduce my usage. He really made it seem personal like I was using his own personal bandwidth. So I'll be looking for a new service provider.

I only have two services available in my area.

Is anyone familiar with Covad? They offer Dedicated DSL (Dedicated Loop TeleSohoŽ) TeleSpeed Internet Services are Covad’s business-oriented Internet Services based on Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line (“SDSL”) services provisioned on separate lines from the Customer’s phone service (144kbps up and down for $120 mo.) or (384kbps up and down for $329 mo.)

My other option is Sky Broadband Service offers symmetrical 1 Mbps service. 1 Mbps for both the upload as well as the download. They state, "when comparing to other services, be sure to note whether our competitors are offering symmetric or asymmetric connectivity. ($99 mo, if I let them put a repeater at my home) and $20. more if I don't. Sky Broadband Service uses a transceiver that is both small (12"H X 4"W X 1.1"D) and lightweight (11 ounces.) This transceiver can reach a distance of up to 2 miles. If your location is greater than 2 miles from the access point, then the optional reflector can extend the range up to 10 miles.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes