View Single Post
Old 2010-03-07, 07:24 PM

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! oop VHS tapes > iMAC transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneRoller View Post
I think I read through that link somewhere that certain older vcr's have the TBC built into them ? Does anyone have/know of the makes/models of the specific vcr's that have this?
You need to read this: What is a TBC? TBC in a VCR does not bypass protection.

Quote:
Pawn shops are full of vcr's these days and maybe I could get lucky...
Not really. Pawns shops only buy things they can resell, and demand for VCRs is near zero. That a pawn shop is "full of VCRs" is more of a myth than anything else. Don't believe me? Go to a pawn shop. At any rate, it's also highly unlikely you'd find a high-end VCR in a pawn shop.

Quote:
pretty sure all of the AG- line has built-in TBC
No, not all of them.

Quote:
All Videos and D.V.D.s are either N.T.S.C. or P.A.L. Format its down to how many lines are in the picture.
Close, but not quite.
VHS has NTSC, PAL and SECAM -- don't forget SECAM. VHS tapes varied in how color was stored, in addition to framerate and lines.
DVD is just PAL and NTSC. Color is all YUV data these days (hence the ability to play DVDs worldwide), and differ only in framerate and resolution (there are no lines in digital video).

Quote:
Most U.K. and European D.V.D.s and even later model Videos, can play both P.A.L. and N.T.S.C. formats (don't get confused with regions,thats something else!) but not many American (N.T.S.C.) players play P.A.L.
Crazy eh?
Actually, that's not really true anymore. For close to 5 years now, most players are made for worldwide use, cheaply made from kits in China. It's harder to find a player that does not do PAL, than to find one that does. Most people assume a DVD player does not play PAL because they confuse it with regions, having attempted to insert a foreign-bought disc in a player and having received a rejection error message. A ripped copy (with DVD region removed) would have no such issue.

Later.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 2010-03-07 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes