View Single Post
Old 2007-05-07, 05:53 PM

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345
Yes, like what if some unheard Robert Johnson recordings were unearthed somehow, and they were considered to be a "lossy master". Would those get pulled?

To clear things up, the recording I made was played through the soundcard of my computer, recorded and saved as wav. files.

i would stop mentioning this.....it is a bad practice. let the software convert to wav----i agree that there are situations where mp3 sources should be allowed....i said so earlier, but never take a digital recording and play it through a computers soundcard to convert it to wav....all kinds of bad shite happens to the data when that happens...let some good mp3 software make the conversion....it is better that way.

If mp3 sources were to be allowed here it needs to be in a place dedicated to mp3 sources.......there is no legitimate reason to upconvert from mp3 to wav to flac or whatever just to put it into a "lossless" format. Since the recording ORIGINATED AS A LOSSY FILE it will never BECOME a LOSSLESS file. I do not care if your capture it through the most expensive a/d converter in the world it is still a lossy file.

We can debate if that matters in the real world, but whether an mp3 capture is in itself lossless....???....it is not. If Microsoft were to release their WMA lossless codec or if the mp3 people came up with their own lossless codec and realesed it to recorder manufacturers then we could talk about all of this.

I also agree that "lossless" is in the eye of the beholder. This site considers "full range" to be relative to the CD standard (red book or green book or blue book or whatver the hell). So by those standards mp3 is lossy becouse the original audio was not captured at a frequency response of about 20-20khz.

I would like to agree with others (including my self) who have noted that old typeI cassettes recorded on bad recorders with bad mics are not as good (and arguably more "lossy") than a good mic to a good mp3 recorder at 320kbps. I would argue that mp3 at 320kbps would probably be as good as many md sourced recordings. But even md sourced recordings are only allowed with certain stipulations.

I do see and sympathize with what you are saying. I wanted badly to be able to use mp3 to record a festival in my hometown this summer. It would have allowed me to record the whole think without having to change media between acts. But when I questioned, it wasn't allowed here. And I understand the reasons for this site doing this. Until there is a change, post your stuff elsewhere.

But do not continue sending the analog signal from your mp3 box to your soundcard. That is not only unecessary and slower than using software....it is bad for the audio and that is what this is all about.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes