View Single Post
Old 2007-05-07, 05:51 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345
Saying an MP3 source transferred directly to the computer, saved as wav and converted to flac is lossy is like saying a cassette recording handled the same way is lossy. There is no quality lost, and the torrent was pulled. Its not like it was saved as an MP3, then convert to wav> flac. It was saved as wav, then converted to flac.
unless you've modded the iriver with Rockbox or similar, it records in a lossy compressed mp3 state [i.e. before it ever reaches the computer]...just because you then save the file as a wav on the comp does not make the audio lossless...all you have to do is run a SA and FA to see that

being "lossless" its not just about losing quality in the transfer process, its also about lost quality in the source itself...as i said, look at the SA/FAs and you'll see...yer recording, and any mp3 for that matter, typically has no activity above 15 or 16kHz...in other words, a big chunk of your spectrum, in this case the "highs", are completely cut out...and it is noticeable, despite what some folks say

as for our policy, we simply do not allow lossy material here at TTD...we appreciate you recording shows and being willing to share them, but from the beginning, we decided to dedicate this site to only the best quality, which in turn meant only allowing completely lossless recordings...there are numerous other BT sites that would allow the recording tho, and i encourage you to share it at one of those sites