View Single Post
Old 2010-03-04, 03:57 PM

Question PLEASE HELP!!! oop VHS tapes > iMAC transfer

I recently started a project of transferring my music/concert VHS tapes (that have not been officially released on DVD yet) to digital format on my computer.

Here is my problem: When I capture certain VHS tapes onto my iMac with iMovie, the image/colors get darkened/blurred/changed/whatever. Now, when I first hit the 'play' button on the vcr, after the capture/import process has begun, I will see the video/image in it's natural and correct coloration for a micro-second before it quickly darkens to the off coloration. As far as troubleshooting so far, I've rules out several causes:

- It isn't the VCR player because I've tried 3 different ones with the same results
- It isn't the iMovie application because I done the capture with Toast v.8 with the same results
- It isn't the condition of the tape heads because they've been cleaned thoroughly and I've gotten pristine captures with some VHS tapes, without the discoloration problem occurring.
- It isn't the state/age/whathaveyou of the tape itself because the image is fine when it's played directly through the tv.

At this point, without consulting any personal help (porefessional or amateur) on-line advice, I'm guessing that certain VHS tapes have some built-in protection device to prevent me from dubbing the tape

This is my set-up:

Commercially released out-of-print VHS tapes > Sharp VC-H956U VCR > Canopus ADVC-55 DV converter > Mac OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard) > iMovie (or Toast) > iDVD

I, of course, know that the sharp vcr is not top or professional grade equipment. However, it's not a bottom grade either and I've found it to be reliable and effective for what I'm doing. I'm not going to go out and buy a mitsubishi, panasonic or jvc, etc.. at this point. These tapes are being transferred for my enjoyment and the Sharp's performance has satisfied me thus far. Unless, of course people reply here and tell me that I can get around a problem of tapes with built-in copy protection by getting a different vcr....Which brings me to....

What might I do? Is my guess of the copy protection a good one or am I off with that? If that is the problem, how might I get around it? If it's not the problem, then what might the problem be?

FYI, transfers so far that had this problem:

- The Tragically Hip - Heksenketel (their documentary from the "Another Roadside Attraction" Tour in 1993)
- The Who Rocks America: 1982 American Tour (full gig filmed in Toronto)

transfers that were successful and didn't have the problem

- Pete Townshend's Deep End - The Brixton, England Concert (from 1986, features David Gilmour on lead guitar)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers: Psychedelic SexFunk Live From Heaven (filmed in '89 Long Beach)
- Roy Orbison: Live In Concert (Filmed in Houston...not sure of year, mid/late 70's or early 80's judging by band's attire and haircuts)

ANY help, suggestions, advice, tips, discussion, etc.. would be VERY MUCH appreciated by me!!! I'd really like to get those Hip and Who vids transferred since those have not come out on DVD yet (apparently there is some weird version of that Who show released in the UK under a different name but the reviews say they are of lesser quality than the Japanese-released laser disc and possibly not even as good as the VHS release!) Thanks in advance.

Gratefully,

Dennis (BoneRoller)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes