352x240 - ntsc
352x288 - pal

svcd
480x480 - ntsc
480x576 - pal

dvd
720x480 - ntsc
720x576 - pal

computer has to create a lot of pixels. even the best computer is terrible at it. on a sd tv, you probably cant tell, on a hi-def you can, esp if it could be recaptured from an analog source at higher resolution. anywho, ive done a lil video in my time, its just not a good idea. for personal use, sure, just dont torrent em, trade me, etc. besides, vcd will play in your dvd, so no need, less media cost.

edit:

after i finished reading, i decided i had more to add...

now, if you/your friends are thinking reconverted vcd>dvd looks better on the tv (sd or otherwise)... your pc can create pixels better than your dvd player can, so a vcd will look shittier on a hdtv playing on a dvd player than the same film, except converted vcd>dvd, because your dvd player doesnt have to make up the pixels...
Quote:
A VCD will play in most DVD players as said, so why make it so large a file for no need?
thanks for the response, guys.

I've never been able to get a VCD to play in any of my DVD players. Maybe I am mistaken what a VCD is? Is it .avi, .mpg, .wmv files? or is it something else?

I hadn't planned on torrenting them, but trading I did. The other stuff is for personal use & since I could never get the VCDS to play, I found it necessary to change it to a dvd.

I'm new to the video world, so I'm just trying to understand everything. It's easier to be able to ask questions then search the info online.. I always end up in circles.

"i lost two things that night - my teeth & my peace of mind. - Florence Holway *
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes