Thread: whoweeds
View Single Post
Old 2005-08-12, 01:11 PM

Re: whoweeds

this is not the first time this has happened.....when the shows were originally released the same issues crept up. what everyone needs to know is that whoweeds was formed because of the issues in other who groups of the time with bad discs......tao gapped shows, mp3's etc etc...........so this was a quality control thing with whoweeds..........mp3's were not allowed........

hntgzr sent me the following remembrances as well...........

Funnily enough, I was once daft enough to question John on the Frequency Analysis of most of the WhoWeeds series when I first joined the now defunct Yahoo Group.

I was niaive enough to think that because they had a low FA that they were or could have been MP3 sourced and was really just asking John to confirm that the copies I had were the original copies and matched the original MD5 files.

Needless to say, they are not MP3 sourced - they have merely been processed using Cool Edit Pro (or similar - I can't remember know exactly what John uses) and have had some amount of noise reduction and other filtering techniques applied to them.

When noice reduction is applied, the top end frequencies are sometimes flattened (this unfortunately gives a similar FA to that of an MP3).

If the person wishes to look at a Spectral Analysis of the WhoWeeds series, they will see that they are not MP3 sourced. FA's don't always give an accurate reading!

Hope that helps

I see that Craig62 has responded to the post on TTDen.

I have had many conversations with Craig about the way WhoWeeds material looks when run through FA. He is aware of John's mastering techniques.

Back in 2003 I shared a lot of the WW series with Craig on a Direct Connect hub. He is a big Who fan, as I am (as we are!).

He will remember me telling him that John A did a lot of noise reduction, etc, to his recordings - in fact I've just looked back at some emails from October 2003 with regard to this and John does indeed recognise the fact that some look like they are MP3 sourced with the method he used to clean them up. He stated he sometimes chopped off the top frequencies as part of his remastering technique.

I am sure nowadays, nearly 2 years on, that some filtering plugins in Adobe Audtion or WaveLab for example would do the job better - however, this was just not the case back in 2003.

Last edited by toys; 2005-08-12 at 06:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes