View Single Post
Old 2010-04-12, 10:51 PM

Re: Lineage question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Yeah View Post
However, just because someone didn't send me lineage doesn't mean the show is "trash". I traded for years with reputable traders and for many years there was no need for exact lineage. This trend of saving/requesting is something that has come into play in just the last few years with the internet. My trading goes back to the 1980's and I can't think of a time when lineage was even that we asked for let alone traders supplied.
I would agree with most of that comment. I used to be heavy into collecting/trading back in the pre-internet days. I don't think I ever asked for, nor recieved, any detail on what was recorded/how. And vice versa. Most of us used a quality scale of P/G/VG/EX with a - or +. Same with Video. And what type of/brand of tape the copies were made on. (TDK mostly) The request for accurate lineage has held up me torrenting a lot of stuff.

On the other hand one of the things I really like about TDD is they make serious attempts at quality seeds being put out, and part of that is the lineage. Yes some people make wild claims saying their material is from the "master" when it cleary isn't but when you are talking about material that is over 20 years old it is not something that can always be verified. For example I have some shows that I could have seeded here but I never did because all I know is I got them from the guy who taped them. I never asked how he taped them, or what gear he used, or what deck he used to make my copies. One thing I did know is that they never popped up here or at other sites. About a month ago one of these shows popped up and I said to the uploader "Hey, I think I have this" and he said "I only traded it to a few people years ago so you can't have this." Well I then asked a question about another show and the reply was "Hey, I taped that too" so it turns out that in 2010 I re-established contact with someone I had traded with back in the 80's - and now there is no need for my first gen copies to be torrented because he has torrented his masters...with the full story about what gear he used...almost 30 years after the fact. So on the one hand it would have sucked had I tried to up one of his shows here and it got pulled because I did not know the full lineage but on the other hand we now have it and instead of everyone having a first gen copy they have a master copy.

I guess what Iam saying is that sometimes the community will loose out on getting older shows unless the lineage can be laid out in better terms than "Bootleg/Vinyl/CD/Silver/Casette > PC > TDD"

Last edited by boxedart; 2010-04-12 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes