View Single Post
Old 2004-12-12, 07:12 PM
What'cha Got There?

DVD Out Of Standard

I have a downloaded DVD (Video_ts folder) that's been on my HD for awhile that I've finally gotten around to burning off onto DVDR.
...burned with Nero...no problems...popped in my standalone and the disc won't play...
Knowing how Nero tends to throw fits with some files, I then tried burning with DVD Shrink, which usually fixes (or doesn't mess with stuff)...burned fine, throw it in my player...nothing...

So then just to see what happens, I open the folder with TMPGEnc DVD Author...import the folder, roll through the menus and at the end get the message:

The combined bitrate of the video and audio of the clip "Title 1".....is exceeding the upper limit for a standard DVD

The current bitrate is video: 9800bps, audio 192kbps, combined 9992kbps
THe combined video and audio bitrate can be no more than 9.848Mbps (9848kkbps)

I back up some and check the values of the VOB:

MPEG-2, 720X576 25 fps PAL 9800kbps
Dolby Digital (AC-3) 48000 Hz Stereo, 192 kbps

Now, since this DVD already has a nice menu all set up and is something of a "package" I'd really like to not have to rip this apart...but I'd really like to make it "compliant." Any ideas for a simple fix? I'm wondering if I pull the VOB into TMPCEnc and do some re-encoding if it'll screw up things.

I'm actually surprised that Nero never complained as it usually whines about any problem.

Any thoughts?

...and yes, I know I could go and buy an Apex (don't need to as I have a computer hooked to my TV and can just play the VOB file directly), but if there's a standard out there I'd like to try and stay within it. Once you start to not follow those rules, then what are you going to do if you want to play that nice show over at a friends house?...guess buy them an Apex as cheap as they are.

In all seriousness, why do people tend to think that way about non-compliant DVD's (big deal, just buy a different player)? Isn't that like saying we don't care someone ripped a CD with Nero instead of EAC...as long as you can't hear any pops it must be good!

Thanks for the inputs-

Last edited by retired; 2006-12-26 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes