View Single Post
Old 2004-11-30, 03:34 PM

Re: Help with unreadable DVDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Well...the problem has been solved.

I took the disc into Best Buy and put it into one of their computers...it worked fine. I bought the drive, installed it, and all is well. I guess the old drive was just starting to go...
I just skimmed this thread, so maybe somebody said this, but I would bet neither the disc nor the drive were defective. With both CDs & DVDs you will find certain combinations of (1) make of disc, (2) type of drive it was burned on, and (3) type of drive you try to read it on that cause problems. (Probably should add (4) condition of the disc at the time you put it in the drive. I even wonder if it makes a difference whether it's still cold from the mailbox when you put it in a drive.)

On my previous computer, I usually had trouble extracting Mitsui CDRs, even though they worked fine in other CD drives. I have 2 DVD drives in my current computer and 1 more at work (only one is a writer), and I've had to use all 3 to extract the information off of some data DVDs. I've had DVDs that I couldn't extract and I'd send them on to somebody who said there was no problem, and vice versa. I have also had Rain Dawg's experience of the computer not even recognizing that there's a disc in the drive, where another drive will recognize it.

It's very sad that the companies who make the media and the drives cannot make them completely interoperable. It's just like Windows - things almost work most of the time. The poster above who mentioned voodoo is right on. From what I've seen, this isn't like science - you can't repeat someone else's experiment and get the same result. On the other hand, it's not totally random. There are discs that are problematic on most or all drives.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes