View Single Post
Old 2004-12-06, 09:21 AM

Re: PAL to NTSC...?

I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if a modern US "NTSC" TV set had trouble with accepting a PAL signal from a DVD player. I would imagine that modern sets constructed the same for all regions of the world and are hence capable of accepting all kinds of input even if they don't explicitly say they can. Also, to be pedantic, PAL and NTSC refer to methods of analog colour encoding: technically they are a separate issue from the resolution and frame rate of the picture. For example, although Western Europe uses 625/50 and PAL colour (PAL-I), Brazil uses 525/60 but with PAL colour (PAL-M). There are two questions to consider - whether your TV can synch to a non-standard frame rate (e.g. 50 fields-per-second in the US) and secondly if it can decode the colour. Most modern TV sets in Europe can do the former and given the economy of scale of global production, I'd be surprised (but open to correction) if a set purchased in the US could not likewise. The key feature to look for is an automatic vertical hold.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes