Thread: Wavpack
View Single Post
Old 2007-02-03, 03:56 PM
spiritinaphoto

Re: Wavpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky
Only fly in the otherwise excellent WavPack ointment is that the same extension is used for both lossless and lossy files. I know size and context are likely to prevent most mistakes or confusions but I think it should be borne in mind.
Yes, but you can run wvunpack -s *.wv and it'll tell you if the files are lossless or not (see wvunpack_s.txt to see the output).

Anyway, I ran the following test and everything seems perfectly kosher on my end.

First, I got the ffp from the original FLAC files by running metaflac --show-md5sum *.flac (see XM2 - Transmission 4.1.ffp.txt). I then ran shntool len *.flac (see shntool len (flac).txt) and computed the st5s using shntool hash *.flac (see XM2 - Transmission 4.1 (flac).st5)--side note, it's now 'hash' instead of 'md5' to compute st5s.

The next step was to decompress the FLAC files, which was done using flac -d -V *.flac.

From there, I could convert the WAV files to WavPack, which was done with the command wavpack -hm *.wav. I then ran shntool len (see shntool len (wv).txt), shntool hash (see XM2 - Transmission 4.1 (wv).st5), and finally the aforementioned wvunpack -s *.wv on the WavPack files.

As you can see from the text files attached in this post and the next few posts, it worked beautifully--checksums match. Based on my observations, I'm going to put in my recommendation for WavPack to be considered an acceptable format for trading on this site. Others may run tests and see if there are any major hitches I haven't encountered in my test.
Attached Files
File Type: txt wvunpack_s.txt
( 3.4 KB, 2 views)

File Type: txt shntool len (flac).txt
( 884 Bytes, 1 views)

File Type: txt XM2 - Transmission 4.1.ffp.txt
( 479 Bytes, 1 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes