View Single Post
Old 2007-05-13, 04:12 PM

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
I'm not sure what kind of compression analog FM signals use, but they obviously don't sound as good as CD's (ignoring the freq. response differences). If you compared these:

#1) Cream "White Room" on Onkyo model #900 CD player > low pass and high pass filter to simulate FM's freq. response > Onkyo model #2500 receiver > Polk model #500 speakers

vs.

#2) Cream "White Room" on Onkyo model #900 CD player > analog FM transmitter > Onkyo model #2500 receiver w/good FM stereo reception > Polk model #500 speakers

#1 would always win. This indicates some type of lossy analog compression or signal loss to me. I doubt any radio station plays mp3's made from CD's as source material for their broadcasts. An exception may be made for voice clips, and one time about a year ago I heard a FM station broadcast a leaked-to-the-net track from GNR's upcoming Chinese Democracy (will it ever see the light of day?). I could tell the GNR track was a low bitrate mp3 because of all the wind-chime effects in the highs.
They're using a bandpass filter to cut the highs at around 15kHz and the lows not sure where, plus they compress the amplitude so that the low peaks to high peaks are much closer together. If you hear something like "the ocean" by zep on the radio there's a part where it goes super-quiet and it just sounds stupid pushed up to the same volume then hearing the compressor clamp down hard and awkwardly when the band comes in again at full volume. They also do some strange stuff I don't quite understand using the carrier and cramming two channels into one that can be decoded with some phase tricks maybe somebody here can explain it properly, a tech guy explained it to me last year and I couldn't quite make sense of it. but I digress... the newer broadcasts cut off abrupty at 15kHz unlike older radio broadcasts which kind fuzzed at the same frequency ... and of course the bandpass and dynamics compression then and now.

I'm wondering if the new digital stations will be free of dynamics compression yet tainted by the slurriness of some mp3ish codec or another.

Check out this thread (with screencaps):
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=9766

as for the other "the world is going to hell in a handbasket" stuff, I agree, although I think some of the links you've drawn in the conspiracy are a little far-fetched. I mean, within any company they'll pull these kinds of stunts and also use whatever info they have about how others are doing business to their advantage. I don't think there's star chamber meetings between the guys who make burners for computers and standalone dvd manufacturers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
Did anyone listen to FM back in the 70's and early to mid 80's when they spun vinyl? If so, did it sound better back then than it does today?
yeah, I remember and have got tapes. It sounded like records, not as "crisp" (usually in a good way) and some crackles. Sometimes a record would start skipping and it would take the dj a minute to fix it

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes