View Single Post
Old 2007-05-13, 09:09 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five

More discussion is necessary, but I'm thinking that we should have a cutoff date of 2008-01-01. Everything from '92-'07 is okay but new MD recodings in 2008 and beyond are banned. That gives everybody time to upgrade their decks, maybe drop some hints to loved ones what you want for Christmas 2007.
werd Five...i'd say thats a reasonable date, and i'm all for the idea...i'm assuming Hi-MD [wav] are excluded from the ban, just ATRAC-based recorders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
A lot of people (including me) would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I just made a bunch of mp3's (Blade at 192 kbps) from my CD studio albums (mostly rock) for my bro (he's not an audiophile and has an iPod, so mp3's are fine for him) [Side note: would the mp3's I made have to be transcoded to Apple's lossy format, thus reducing quality further?] I could barely tell the difference between the extracted wav's and the encoded mp3's listening through my computer's analog out > $50 Sony headphones. The wavs were a tiny bit more robust. Maybe if I had compared the two on my decent home stereo I would have noticed a bigger difference.
the key thing to remember Tubular is just because you and some others can't tell the difference, doesnt mean everyone can't...like Five said, all you have to do is listen to the cymbals and it becomes painfully obvious...

in addition, you can't really expect to notice detail with an average soundcard > $50 cans...but even with a halfway decent pair of phones thru the same soundcard out, you'll begin to hear...bump that up to a halfway decent I/O and a pair of studio monitors and the world begins to change

[not trying to be an ass, just sayin bro]