View Single Post
Old 2005-07-12, 07:44 AM

Re: Help w/external harddrive crash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
To have data recovered is very expensive. Unless it's very valuable to you it's usually not worth it. It couldn't hurt to get an estimate though. I've heard good things about THIS service.

I have a program that "may" be able to read it, but it would be a long shot considering what happened to your HD. I'd hate to have you mail it (and another empty one) for nothing, but I'd be willing to try it out. BTW, it's not one of those cheapo $50-60 "undelete" programs. It's a professional $1200 utility, but it doesn't "specialize" in <a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=73' target='_blank'>data recovery</a>. It just happens to be able to read disks a different way than Windows and Windows programs do.

If you're ambitious enough, you can try removing the internal drive and plugging it in as a slave and see if Windows will recognize it that way. I don't know much about how those firewire drives are made, so you may not be able to physically do it. I'd have to remove it too, in order to install it as a slave for this program to read it.
I think I might look into a quote for restoring it. I was thinking of plugging the drive in as a slave & seeing if that would work...that could be a trick though, I've already got a 2nd internal hd in there so I'd have to swap them I suppose. I'm actually sort of lucky, a bunch of the gigs on there I got in trade so I at least have those shows backed up.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes