View Single Post
Old 2007-04-07, 11:46 AM

Re: RCA to XLR Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkstriker4
Well then... Could you supply me with a more detailed method for the RCA to 1/4" jack conversion? I'm already capable of doing an RCA to 1/4" conversion, but isn't there more to it?

I have a stereo RCA to stereo 1/8" (3.5 mm) gold plated cable from Radioshack, and I think it is almost 3 feet long, and then I have a stereo 1/8" to to two separate 1/4" jacks (for the right and left channels) cable, which is not gold plated. I connect these two cables with a stereo 1/8" coupler, which also not gold plated.

What else do I need to know? Aren't there still impedance issues?
yeah, pass on the rs cables, don't worry about gold plated so much as the quality of the cable itself.

for rca > 1/4" just get a cable with two rca on one end, two 1/4" on the other... avoid adapers. Generally speaking, RCA and 1/4" will have matched impedance.

If you're using a deck with XLR out, it may or may not be matched... you have to try it. There might be some info in the specs, what the outputs are and what the inputs are. Sometimes pro stuff has XLR connectors that run at line level, actually its a little different than "consumer line level" (-10dB) in that case and the impedance will be off.

safest bet from what I can tell is rca>1/4", but try it a few other ways, whichever sounds the best is what sounds the best!!

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes