View Single Post
Old 2005-08-11, 01:44 PM
Non Serviam

Re: Standards for Naming Torrent Folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Hey Guygee, I am interested in your talk about the database. I also sent Stephen a link to your post asking him to take a look.

Sorry this thread got so out of hand. I actually censored another post over in the VBT forum just recently and it's turned into a total mess in The Lounge. *Normally* something like this doesn't happen in Technobabble. [...]
Thank you U2Lynne, its OK, I am actually to the point of reading though and laughing now. I hope Stephen can wade through far enough to get to the previous two posts by range-hood and me, and this one.

range_hood's suggestion for tightening the torrenting rules definitely could apply to properly extracted analog masters, and daud masters (but even then, I wonder how many people would complain "but I WANT the bootleg-XXX with artwork?).

But let's look at the opposite extreme, "taper unknown", and shows with many versions (boots and otherwise). Then I advocate that we loosen the rules "just enough" to get the music out there in the hands of the fans. Specifically, maybe allow for CDr(x) extractions or even "source unknown" lineages IF (and ony if) no other "definitive" sources are yet available. If people try to seed when a better version is already available, then the mods need a system to quickly check and ban (or allow for fan self-policing as well). But if it is not clear that a better version has already been seeded, then let the torrent flow. And again, if the seeder complains, "but I have your version, and mine is better" well, maybe he is right, get his show out there.

Then, encourage the fans to download multiple versions and compare them in a special forum. Allow people to upload a spectrograph screenshot for each show torrent entry to the database, as well. For each show, we need to assign a version #, and allow people access to infofiles with setlists and lineage, shntool LEN output, and st5/ffp files.

Maybe the easiest way to do this is to just assign a prominent Torrent ID to each torrent (still probably need to add the ID to the folder, or equivalent), then create an easily searchable archive, and let the fans upload the infofiles, st5/ffp's, spectrograph screenshots, and shntool info. Leave a placeholder, and whichever fan uploads a piece of info, he/she gets "credit".

The mods might initially have to do some "cheerleading" to encourage people to use the system, but I think there are enough dedicated people out there to make this work, and eventually it will become habitual. For most collectors, it will be fun to compare versions and "debate" the merits and flaws of each version. This approach would also take any extra load off of the seeders, so it will not change the current seeding procedure or discourage people from seeding here.

Through such a process I think a consensus should form on best available version, and Trader's Den can create a list of recommended versions for people to reference.

Last edited by guygee; 2005-08-11 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes