View Single Post
Old 2005-08-09, 11:18 AM
Non Serviam

Re: Standards for Naming Torrent Folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
i guess my real issue is: how much info is *too much* in regards to a folder name? its all in the info text afterall...
Probably just enough so that others reading the folder name can recognize what the show is. This whould include some type of "version" ID, since the same show can exist in many versions, even if taped by the same taper. Why else would Trader's Den care so much about the difference between "from silver" and "cdrx"? Many people don't know their burner's offsets, and at best most only know the combined offset. So if you go audio->audio, the combined offset needs to be used, but if you go audio-> lossless compressed, you nead the read offset only. With my last drive, it was easy to find the combined offset by using the "compare waves" feature in EAC, but there are infinite linear combinations of the read and write offsets that can produce the same combined offset. The only way I could think of finding out my read offset was by trial and error, comparing md5's on successive burns. How many people go through that effort? So digital pollution is a definite problem, and versioning is necessary. (This is the reason everyone should always archive their audio and video showas on "Data" CDs or "Data" DVDs, then burn seperate to listen/watch).

There may be many versions of the same show out there, and we can't give them all the same folder name. That is why I posted on this topic at all, to try and get some consensus on how to do this.

One problem with using the torrent site/thread number ID is that the original seeder doesn't know what will be assigned until they seed, so they can't use it to ID their show, and everyone else would have to add it. It would be a nice feature of the tracker if some unique ID could be tacked onto the folder name, to forever "stamp" that torrent as being "version x downloaded from site y".

etree has versioning, zappateers has some form of it, and I've seen some people using some other versioning system (in some info files i've seen something like "please use LLB #715 to identify this show", I can't remember if it is LLB(?) or something else, I need to look that up again and look into it further).

Tapers don't have to worry about it, if they only listen to their own Master shows or only trade first gen with their taper friends, right? But if they trade freely, then they should be concerned too! With their special knowledge and the experience with music quality they "should" have gained by taping, I would think that a "good" taper would be most concerned of all.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes