Thread: Partition Magic
View Single Post
Old 2005-07-21, 03:28 PM
pete's montreux

Re: Partition Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Yes you can, but it won't contain the boot/partition information that is on your HD that you may want to recover. I don't know exactly what the rescue disk looks for when booting. Best thing to do, if possible, is to install a floppy drive now. It'll make things a lot easier if you need it later.

Are you absolutely sure Partition Magic won't allow you to make a rescue CD? I'm thinking that when it asks you if you want to make one or not, that you can answer "yes" and then it'll ask you to navigate to the drive before it saves the rescue data.

A lot of computers are being made now, without floppy drives. I'm assuming you have a newer version of PM. A lot of newer programs are taking into account the fact that floppy drives may not be present and are giving the opportunity to make bootable rescue CDs instead. You might want to check again to be sure and to save yourself a lot of trouble down the road.

EDIT: Some programs make a "rescue disk" that is simply a boot floppy that you boot from so that you can run their software from the command line to use that particular program. In other words, it is not proprietary to that program. I'm not sure if PM does this or not.

Drive "F" doesn't even exist!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes