View Single Post
Old 2010-04-10, 05:04 PM

Re: OK I've done everything but still Firewalled on Comcast

Zach - I'm getting instructions worked up for you but I need to be sure about:
- the IP address of the router
- the IP addresses that are being given out by the router.

In your browser surf to http://192.168.0.1 . Do you get a login/password screen?

If that isn't the address try http://192.168.50.1 .

Post here which URL works for you.

Next ... in windows ... Start -> Run -> cmd [DOS windows appears/you could have typed in "command"].

At the DOS prompt type in the command on the next line. You should get output like the bit below.

ipconfig

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1

Post here what your IP address is. It is possible that each time that Windows is booted you could get a different address.

... start of info related to your 2nd post ...

Zach - Good observation about you being firewalled and still able to seed another firewalled BitTorrent client.

I just looked at the clients on the torrent "Leonard Cohen 1988-05-20" that you are seeding AND ALL THE FOLKS ARE USING UTORRENT V2. What appears to be happening is that the new protocol that is built into recent copies of uTorrent is working! That's great!

uTP is a new datacomm protocol from uTorrent. AFAIK only uTorrent has it. I believe the libtorrent folks are working on getting it implemented.

Two of the main features of uTP are:
- allow 2 firewalled BT clients to connect and pass data
- automatic bandwidth congestion management

I don't know how it works the magic that allows 2 firewalled clients to pass data ... but it's great feature.

Added: I couldn't care less about "thread hijacking" in this particular case.

Last edited by mrpete; 2010-04-10 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added a bit at the bottom
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes