View Single Post
Old 2010-03-22, 02:05 PM

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
If you're going to insult me, then I'm going to make you look stupid...

What do you refer to by "MPEG2" exactly?
  • Program streams, transport streams?
  • MP@ML, MP@HL, H-12@MP, 422@ML, another one?
  • What's the temporal compression like? IBP GOP? IP GOP? I-only GOP? If IBP or IP, what's the length? (i.e., Long or Short?)
  • Closed or open?
  • Which specs? DVD-Video, Sony edit or something else? None?
  • What's the SNR of the source? (#/% not required, descriptions okay)
  • What's the encoding chipset or software encoding engine?
  • What about the matrix or discreet cosine values?
  • CBR, VBR or CVBR?
MPEG-2 is a generic description.

Depending on about a half-dozen factors (between source and encoding specs), capturing to MPEG-2 can be anywhere from brilliant to bone-headed.

I'm pretty sure deuce8 could answer all those questions. Can you?

(I'm nice and share my knowledge with others --- but don't piss me off, I fight back.)
Actually, lordsmurf, he was quoting you. In relation to this discussion sabkisscrue/duece8pro maintains that their method is the best out there for doing dubs and restorations. Some of us question that and if you read the threads you can clearly see that. Many of us have stated variations of what you stated, in reguards to dubbing to a stand alone DVD recorder from a source that is old (needs restoration/post production work) - "You want to minimize quality losses at each stage, so avoid capturing with MPEG2." That would mean, based on the discussion here that recording to a JVC DRM-100 Dvd Recorder is not the best thing to do.

So if you think you are making retired look stupid you are mistaken. Again, in your own words, as it relates to this discussion - You want to minimize quality losses at each stage, so avoid capturing with MPEG2.