Old 2010-02-23, 09:36 AM
TTD Staff

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality

my response via PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkisscrue
If you can find one of those units in like new condition it would go for much more than $50,
a non-working unit may go for $50 though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-DRM100-DVD-R...item19ba1e90e2

Quote:
I am disappointed though, that the only research you done on the unit itself was on JVC's web site. The fact is the "encoder" in this unit is one of the best encoders they ever put into a standalone recorder. You would have found that out if you did further research.
You would have also found out, that it happens to have the best noise reduction filters
ever put into a standalone unit, that comes in handy when transferring vhs. I believe you as a "professional" would be very happy this unit and with the results of its "encoding" quality.
links?

Quote:
As a matter of fact JVC put the "encoder" that is in the DRM100 that I use in some recent professional decks. So, its safe to say what I use is of "professional" quality. If you want, I can point out to you where to find those pro standalone decks, if you dont believe me.
again, links?

Quote:
What have you done from vhs tapes? Now im curious.
Id like to see your results.
safety & training videos, archival interview footage, etc etc...and sorry, but i don't think our clients would be too happy me u/ling torrents of their copyrighted material

i've got stacks of uncirculated live shows tho that i've been wanting to transfer, when i do yer more than welcome to d/l and see...but VHS is VHS, and gens/wear are a major factor...i simply have been telling you to ditch the pass-through & SA and opt for a quality SVHS deck & a decent A/D stage and you'll get better results...if you don't wanna believe that, hell fine by me

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
2. ditch the Digi8 camcorder for anything other than transferring Digi8 tapes
Have you ever used one of these to transfer 8mm/hi8 tapes? Its the way to go. Im telling you.
These also are great cameras.
This camera also functions as an excellent pass through filter to clean up vhs noise.
yes, i've used them to transfer 8mm format tapes...but as far as using it as a "pass through" [more accurately an A/D conversion stage], no they are not an "excellent filter to clean up vhs noise"

do they have filters, maybe...would most people call them "excellent", no...but again, if you wanna believe they are then by all means...

Quote:
When it comes to cleaning up the noise on vhs and camera sources. I opt for the JVC.
so when it comes to noise reduction and other parameters, what controls do the JVC standalone offer? RGB, chroma & luminance, gain, etc?

oh and just a fwiw, but i tried googling that JVC DRM100 a little further, still can't find any info from any respected sites...but i did find this on videohelp.com that you might find interesting...i'm guessing lordsmurf would be one of those "professionals at the site you respect", i know he's been there for years...anyhow thought you might find it interesting:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...actly-the-same!