Thread: Seeding Vinyls
View Single Post
Old 2007-09-22, 06:07 AM
Trader since 1980

Re: Seeding Vinyls

Glad to hear it; but it's worthy of consideration; will the cartridge still be performing as well as it did 30 yrs ago? Will the bearings in the tone-arm, although well-built, still be doing their job as designed?

I'm not trying to belittle your gear, merely suggesting that you might want to consider what's happened in turntable technology as well as digital technology over the last 30 years before committing to a large project.

One of the reasons I suggest this is that I made a whole stack of audio CDs using a Pioneer PDR-609 standalone CD recorder. At the time, I thought they were great, and thought I was archiving my analogue tapes for all time; now I've got an Alesis Masterlink, I'm re-doing these CDs, both at regular CD quality (44.1kHz, 16-bit) and CD24 (96kHz, 24-bit).

I tried to rip some of the Pioneer CDs with EAC for uploading, and it reported horrendous error rates; redo the CDs with the Alesis, and they're error-free. This hasn't been a long-term change; this step-up in quality has occurred in the last 5 years or so. Manufacturers are still making high-quality turntables, and, funds permitting, you may want to see what today's turntables have to offer before committing to a large project with the 30-year old.

Regards, Graham
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes