View Single Post
Old 2007-04-03, 07:59 PM
What'cha Got There?

Re: why no writing on discs???

WhereIsIt is the program I use (pay program)

If you don't want to pay for a program: Go to www.nonags.com and search the site for "catalog." There are a number of programs that will import the contents of discs to a database.

I'm willing to pay for WhereIsIt tho for a couple reasons. First, it will import the *.txt file information that people include with torrents. This means no typing or copy/paste by me (I put the disc in...WII scans the info in...spits it out). Second, it will import thumbnails of the artwork if you want to, third, it is so easy to export to html to make a webpage that it's simple beyond belief. The below link to my DVD's was created in about 2-5 minutes. All I have to do outside of WII is change the colors of the borders to white (personal preference). It will also export to a number of MS compatible formats if needed.
http://home.comcast.net/~musicavista/DVD.html

Video DVDs I do in alpha listing.

For audio shows I just burn multiple shows to each disc (DVD), then number each disc in progression (i.e., BTLD0001, BTLD0002, etc), then sort my listing by alpha...so if someone wants a certain show I just cross reference to the disc number to find it....no need to keep the shows in any order on the physical discs themselves with a database. If you use the program "Burn To The Brim" you can ensure you always burn as much possible to each disc...meaning less wasted space=less money for discs. Takes maybe a minute to find a show if I'm slow.

I know some people still use Excel or even text files...but that's about as dark ages as writing your list down nowadays if your collection is over ten shows...no insult intended to those of you who still do that.