View Single Post
Old 2011-01-13, 11:55 PM
Fuck 2024

Re: Why aren't FLAC shows tagged?

I was just browsing for something else and this thread caught my eye. It seems that not many people know how to use the native tagger in flac frontend, so I wrote a little tutorial for a few friends the other day. Might as well share it here, if it can help anyone.

I can confirm the flac tags show up in at least 4 programs I use (foobar 2000, winamp, db.Poweramp and Soundforge 10 - view->metadata->summary information) The only catch is that you have to name the files, either manually or in another program.

Tagging in flac frontend:

You must first name the.wav files to their respective song names manually or in another program. I just have the track number and the song name.
Next, If you go to flac frontend and click the button for tag configuration, you'll get a popup window where you can put your info in. If you mouse over the "custom" button, you'll see the options for adding the information in a certain order. Finally, make sure to have "add tags" checked.

If you are tagging the files for a show you just tracked, it makes sense to do it in the native flac frontend, because you can tag at the same time you are encoding and removing any SBE's. Once the .wav files are named, you just drag & drop them in and hit "encode".(make sure they are lined up properly. Sometimes you have to go back and take up a space or add a '0' in numbers 1-9
After the usual process, you will see the tags being written (it goes pretty quick)

Etree wiki on flac-tagging:

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacMetadata

free software programs like foobar and winamp read flac tags. Here is a (slightly outdated) list of hardware devices' that also play flacs and read flac tags:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

If anyone has anything else to add or correct, please feel free. This surely isn't the last word on this subject. Also, if anyone that uses a flac-playing hardware device other than a computer uses this method successfully, I'd be interested to know if they show up properly. I'm working on going virtually disc-less, but it's going to take a bit of time, and money.

screenshot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flac_tagging.jpg
( 242.8 KB, 168 views)

~Dorothy Parker
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes